Just how good are the K340 unmodded?
Apr 1, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
In comparison to, say, HD580's or SR80's? I am really interested in getting one, but I am completely inept in diy modding, and I don't want to spend another huge load of cash just to bring out its life.

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
In comparison to, say, HD580's or SR80's? I am really interested in getting one, but I am completely inept in diy modding, and I don't want to spend another huge load of cash just to bring out its life.

The two mods that IMHO are absolutely a must are recabling and removing the wool inside the cups. When I recabled mine (with ethernet cable) I also bypassed the crossover circuit as described in the K340 mods thread so I can't judge on the relative improvements of recabling and bypassing the crossover.
I have heard the 580 and the Grados only for a short time so I am not qualified to compare them with anything. Compared to other cans I know better, I am not sure that $150+ (that's more or less what I paid my k340 well before they became super-hyped) is good value for a stock K340. For a similar amount of money you can get a used DT880 which, if you like speed and detail in a refined package, will run circles around the unmodded K340

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
The two mods that IMHO are absolutely a must are recabling and removing the wool inside the cups. When I recabled mine (with ethernet cable) I also bypassed the crossover circuit as described in the K340 mods thread so I can't judge on the relative improvements of recabling and bypassing the crossover.
I have heard the 580 and the Grados only for a short time so I am not qualified to compare them with anything. Compared to other cans I know better, I am not sure that $150+ (that's more or less what I paid my k340 well before they became super-hyped) is good value for a stock K340. For a similar amount of money you can get a used DT880 which, if you like speed and detail in a refined package, will run circles around the unmodded K340

Thanks. I think I will get it and hold on to it until I find modding necessary
340smile.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Keep in mind that there's 3 versions of the K340, possibly more, and as far as I know there's no way of telling them apart without opening them up.

With that said, my particular one was slightly better than a 580 when it was stock. The bass was a bit heavy & boomy, the treble was lacking, there was a bit of a weird echo, but the mids & soundstage killed the Senns. I don't know how the other versions will sound stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back