Just heard the AKG 701's with Grados
Nov 5, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #16 of 28
I ordered a pair of 325i's and own the k701's. So I say both lol...
biggrin.gif

SInce we can't really give you a definite answer I can list some strong points of boht to help you see what is better for yourself.

k701- nice airy soundstage(big too), accurate, good base, not incredibly impactfull though(some like this). Comfort is good, and they are big headphones. Amazing with a good source and there are cable upgrades you can make.

325i's(based on some testing)- Bass impact and clarity is awsome. You feel right htere and in tune with the music. Lots of potential mods(liberators, tape, pads, cable, others.....).

I recomend buying both used and just living with them for a while then selling the one you like least. But if you can't do that financially then you have a decision to make heh.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my K701 but I love my Grado's. I prefer the sound of the RS-2 to the K701. My recomendation is to get both
very_evil_smiley.gif

slippery slope to the Melos, K1000's and HP-2's, right?

Seriously, keep watching the Meets forum for one near you.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also been looking at super comfortable phones the past few weeks and stumbled across recommendation for the Sony MDR-F1. I just ordered a pair from Audiocubes yesterday. Perhaps you should do the same.
smily_headphones1.gif
Their comfort is supposed to be top notch, perhaps one of the best ever? I don't know much about the sound quality except that some have described it as a decent jack of all trades phone. I'll see how I like it when I received it late next week.

My only reservation is I don't think AudioCubes accepts preferential returns (I can see why too because everything's shipped from Japan on an as needed basis) but I have the money for just one $300 phone so I must be very careful.

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #19 of 28
i cant help but chip in... why has no one mentioned the beyerdynamics(dt 770/880/990)? i think they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. the soft velour pads are ultra comfortable, and there's no clamping action on your head. it almost made me believe i wasnt wearing any headphone at all. sonics on the dt 880/990 are well on par with the k701 and grado. just my 2cents

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant help but chip in... why has no one mentioned the beyerdynamics(dt 770/880/990)? i think they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. the soft velour pads are ultra comfortable, and there's no clamping action on your head. it almost made me believe i wasnt wearing any headphone at all. sonics on the dt 880/990 are well on par with the k701 and grado. just my 2cents

I've always wanted to try DT880s and now I'm curious about the MDR-F1s because comfort's become much more important to me now that I know an excellent phone, the PK1, is so comfortable it almost disappears.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 28
I'll recommend the DT880's also.

Gotta love all those details
580smile.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the DT-880 is more detailed than K-701?

Absolutely not.

This guy is deciding on grado or akg why are you guys chiming in with Beyer suggestions, it's only going to confuse him more.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #24 of 28
^
this guy posed the question 20 months ago.
my guess is he's not the one that's confused, lol.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just boils down to personal preference. Can I toss in one more candidate to confuse you further.... IMHO you should also consider the MS2i. Its in between the K701 and 325i, but leaning more towards the 325i... Imagine the Grado slam but more analytical/accurate. Neither Grado has the soundstage of the 701 though IMHO.

**edit**
Yikes I didn't realize how old this thread is.

I'm selling both of my hp's (K701 and SA5000) and I'm tempted to have only one hp after that. That would mean some woody-Grado's. I'm very tempted to have RS-2 but my music taste is very wide so maybe RS-1's would fit the bill better? I mainly listen to rock and metal, but also pop an sometimes classical and other lighter music.

I want cans which I can turn the volume up and the highs don't become ear-piercing harsh. My Sony's are example of this. When I turn the volume up, all that is amplified are the harsh highs.

What do you think kramer about the MS2i's? Are they like K701's with less sibilant highs and more powerful bass?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want cans which I can turn the volume up and the highs don't become ear-piercing harsh. My Sony's are example of this. When I turn the volume up, all that is amplified are the harsh highs.

What do you think kramer about the MS2i's? Are they like K701's with less sibilant highs and more powerful bass?

Were I you, I'd instead look for cans I could listen to at low volumes that sound good. Your ears are the only ones you've got. I find a sound signature like the dt-770 good for that, supposedly the gs-1000's were designed with this in mind, though I haven't heard them.

$1000 headphones make my wallet hand twitch.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
this guy posed the question 20 months ago.
my guess is he's not the one that's confused, lol.

haha holy crap, I didn't notice that actaully.......

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Arterius2: Your gentle nudge was all I needed to order DT880s several hours ago. Everything I read about DT880s mentions their exceptional comfort and how well they respond to good tube amplification so I can't wait to hear how they respond to my LD MKIV SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back