Just got triple fi's - amp needed?
Jul 20, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
they sound fantastic straight out of my ipod classic, just wondering how large an improvement will i see if amped adequately? is it really necessary? not sure if i want to carry around more stuff with me, but if the SQ gains are large i wouldn't be opposed to the idea, considering i've already splurged on the iems.

and what amps would you recommend for synergy? maybe with more mids presence?

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 33
I personally don't think an amp with the TF10Pro is needed, but many have said that the iQube has perfect synergy with them.

Careful though, that amp is quite costly.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 33
hahaha cheers, thats what i wanted to hear,
didnt want to have to get an amp.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 33
Ive found the sound difference HUGE from source to source and the triple fi.

I do think they really shine when an amp is used. I am using mine with the Headstage Lyrix and i think the difference from the ZVM to the lyrix dac/amp is like day and night. YMMV.

If you find the sound so great out of the ipod then enjoy it and dont bother. I know my post will likely get you that lil evil itch, but I felt the need to let you know what i feel about what you asked.

I must tell you that I find the difference in SQ so big when using an amp, that it is the reason why I am going to end up selling them. I dont find the the investment worth it for mobile use, not to me because right now I cant afford to have an expensive home ig and an expensive mobile rig. I am not mobile for too long...

Sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 33
hummmm head-fi is becoming a dangerous hobby, i decided not to use the RE1`'s because of needing an amp, and prior to that i sold off a meier XXS because i wanted to go ampless... looks like i'm going to end up right back where i started.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 33
like everything else, they don't need an amp, but an amp helps out.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like everything else, they don't need an amp, but an amp helps out.

This should be the head-fi mantra for any high-sensitivity 'phones. My AD700s surely do not need an amp but boy do they sing with my VHP-1.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 33
they do indeed sound awesome through the iqube
Classic to iqube to triple fi is great but lovely through the predator too
Both amps just open them up so much
Do take your point on board about size of rig tho
Buy bigger trousers LOL

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they sound fantastic straight out of my ipod classic, just wondering how large an improvement will i see if amped adequately? is it really necessary? not sure if i want to carry around more stuff with me, but if the SQ gains are large i wouldn't be opposed to the idea, considering i've already splurged on the iems.

I had asked this question in the Triple-Fi appreciation thread just two days ago, do check out the answers there also.

Like you, I am wondering if I should spring for an amp but affordability (is it worth it?) was my question. not so worried about the size if it makes a huge difference in SQ!!

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 33
I don't understand - if you like them directly out of your classic, then why get an amp?

Get an amp if you are looking to correct some deficiency in what you hear - need more bass, or smoother treble, or more power etc. Or if you want to take advantage of the further improvement in sound quality that you get from moving to the Line Out Dock and away from headphone out.

Don't an amp just because someone tells you to - do it because the improvements possible are more important to you than the inconvenience of a bigger rig.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 33
The reason I got an amp wasn't because I audibly heard something wrong with the music, it was because if an amp would make the music sound better it's worth it. Same reason people audition different headphones to find a sound they like, what if the amp makes me like the music better, then it's worth getting.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I got an amp wasn't because I audibly heard something wrong with the music, it was because if an amp would make the music sound better it's worth it. Same reason people audition different headphones to find a sound they like, what if the amp makes me like the music better, then it's worth getting.

I understand, but the original poster says he/she is happy with the sound and is hoping not to have to buy and amp because it is bulky, and even already sold a Meier amp before posting.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 33
what i was saying was i'm happy now becuase i dont have anything better to compare it to, being happy with something is always until you hear something better :p
and if it would be a very large step up i would consider all the inconvenience of an amp, LOD etc.

and of course money is an issue, so if the improvements are minor, i probably should be saving/using money for something else.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 33
It is not so much that an amp is needed for Triple Fi to perform, but IMHO using one can bring audible benefits. You have to decide whether those benefits are worth it for you & your wallet. If amping interests you, I would advise you to take a look at used amps in FS -dependant on make/model, you can always sell on at little loss if you decide against...

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i was saying was i'm happy now becuase i dont have anything better to compare it to, being happy with something is always until you hear something better :p
and if it would be a very large step up i would consider all the inconvenience of an amp, LOD etc.

and of course money is an issue, so if the improvements are minor, i probably should be saving/using money for something else.

Triple.fi don't suck if you use them without an amp, while some other phones do (particularly my Altec Lansing IM716 which can be my worst earphones from headphone out and my best universal earphones from a good amp).

Like I said in my first response - "Get an amp if you are looking to correct some deficiency in what you hear like you need more bass, or smoother treble, or more power etc. Or if you want to take advantage of the further improvement in sound quality that you get from moving to the Line Out Dock and away from headphone out."

The line out will almost always sound better than headphone out, and then adding a decent amp to that will bring the sound even further along than you'd get with the internal headphone amp. On older iPods I find the improvement from moving to line out from HP out is bigger than on a better DAP like my iRiver. But the 3G nano and 6G classic also seem to have decent headphone out vs the older iPods - still not as good as line out but there is less to gain from line out, unless you need an amp to drive difficult headphones.

With what you have said about what you want in a portable rig, there is no way to set up a rule that says if the improvement is 20% or more get the amp and if the improvement is 15% or less then don't (and still and be confident you made the right choice). A 10% improvement to one person is a 40% improvement to another and visa versa.

It is better if you simply decide what YOU want in advance, and then either pick the most portable rig, or pick the better sounding but less convenient amped rig. For me, somedays I have the 3G nano with low profile LOD to Predator, and some days I leave off the amp, and some days I take the huge iMod/Vcap Dock/Amp in a camera bag route. It depends on the size of my pockets and what I am doing that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back