Just got the Koss Pro DJ100...
Aug 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Smoothduder420

New Head-Fier
I have no idea what would make headphones good or not haha but I heard these was some of the best pair for under $100 , which was my limit.

They sound okay but im just wondering are they meant to be used for an ipod? I heard you should get an amp but not really sure what that is or where to get one..

Also will they be fine without an amp or is an amp necessary? I had a pair of skullcandy titans last and these sound much better..

Should i change any settings on my ipod to make them sound better, i kinda hear some screeching in some of the songs..

Overall do you think I should keep them too? I didnt really see any better choice for under $100, and these will just be used while im chillin at home.

I got some skullcandy inkd buds for on the go (they suck i know haha but theyre cheap and easy to replace)

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Nearly all full-size headphones will sound better amped, just because of the size of their 30-60mm drivers compared to 3-8mm IEMs, and their power requirements. An amp shouldn't be necessary to hear what they generally sound like, but I don't have personal experience with this set of headphones, and that's something that changes from hp to hp. Also remember that an iPod doesn't have a superior DAC inside it; try your computer or another source as well.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 5
wooops i meant these by the dj100 sounding better.

Do you have a pair of these by any chance?

okay sweet ill actually try my itunes later than thanks! Im really clueless when it comes to headphones..

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
wooops i meant these by the dj100 sounding better.

Do you have a pair of these by any chance?

okay sweet ill actually try my itunes later than thanks! Im really clueless when it comes to headphones..

I have a pair of these and they're my favorite headphone I've ever owned. I'm on my third pair (no defects and it's a long story)! If you love their signature, it's best to get an amp for them to be at their best. Most people who have the DJ100 might agree with me that they need an amp. If you're driving it from a tiny mp3 player that also may lead to problems. I'd suggest something like the E7 or PA2V2 (I haven't heard this one, but it's said to be good for the DJ100). The E5 ($25?) would only be good if it has a Zune HD, larger Cowon player or an Ipod Touch. I refuse to use them without an amp and this is coming from someone who often used a K702 from a portable for 10-15 minutes a few times a week!

The "Screeching" could be just the song itself or that it's being underdriven. Strangely enough I noticed that with an E5 sometimes they're a bit bright and more treble happy than they normally are.

One idea I have for you is to put them in a drawer playing music fairly loud while sleeping just for burn-in. If they sound good then there is no need. A pair of DJ100's that's not burned in well seems to have mids that are not forward sounding at all. Another way to determine if they're not burned in is to see how clear the sound is. If it sounds a tad muffled, then it needs more burn-in. Chances are you got a pair that needs no burn in. I know people hate talk about burn-in, but some DJ100's need a LOT of it! I only burn in maybe 10% of my headphones and they rarely need it.

An amp is 100% worth it for the DJ100, but for some a portable that needs an amp may not be worth the trouble. I've found a good alternative to the DJ100 is the KRK KNS-6400, but I don't like that nearly as much, but it has some similarities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back