just got some HD600's!
Aug 27, 2002 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

klipschter

Head-Fier
screw the AKG's
smily_headphones1.gif
I got some HD600's! Now just need to make a Cmoy amp, or is there a better budget amp for these headphones?

whta do you think of the price i paid? $225 with tax. Sound like a deal
smily_headphones1.gif
I think so! haha. Brand new, coming from the manufacturer thursday to my local tweeter where I will pick them up at 11:30.

there is an audio god!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Congrats! That CMOY probably won't do justice, though. You'll have to buy an amp that's several times the price of the HD600 to haer what it's really capable of.

However, a Corda or a META42 would be a nice choice for a first amp for the Senns.

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 13
well, after dropping $225 on headphones, i don't really feel like spending anything big for like the headroom amp, just don't have the money right now
smily_headphones1.gif

but since i don't have to have a portable amp, and i am a very fast learner and already have some experience with this kind of stuff, why not build my own?
smily_headphones1.gif
any headwize.com amps you can recommend?

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 13
Think about ordering a META42 PCB from tangent on these boards if you're handy with a soldering iron. It's an amp design that was developed by him and other members here at head-fi and it's supposed to be a great amp. He'll also sell you all the hard-to-find parts, and tell you where you can get the more easily-found parts.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/index.html

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Oh you build it yourself. :) Read the website I linked to if you want to learn more.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Depends on how much or little you want to spend on components.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 13
how about this one?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by antness
Hello,

I'm very excited to show my latest amp, which is a clone of Kevin Gilmore's dynamic amp. First, some info about what is inside the amp

- Handmatched Vishay-Dale resistors, matched to 0.05%
- Transistors/LEDs matched to 0.05%
- OPA227 opamp for servo loop
- Alps Blue potentiometer
- Neutrik locking jack, black w/ gold contact
- Cardas RCA jacks
- XLR connection between PS and amp (future builds will use DIN)
- Ultra-bright blue LEDs

What is in the power supply:

- Talema toroidal transformer
- Panasonic caps
- Wima box caps
- Vishay-Dale resistors matched to 0.05%
- Adjustable voltage output w/ pot, 5V to 24V 800mA

How this began?

This project started with dissatisfaction of my META42 amp. I had built a META42 amp for home use before using Tangent's board, and I know it sounded much better. Since I don't need portability, I decided to build the amp to end all amps - still being solid state, of course. I ended up choosing the Gilmore amp after reading all of its praise on the forum. A couple weeks of careful part selecting, and I was on my way. BTW - the power supply PCB is home made, and the amp PCBs are miniboards from ExpressPCB. Future amps will use production boards. I built the amp, and surprisingly, it works great.

The amp is housed in a Hammond aluminum enclosure, and the power supply is housed in an identical enclosure. This works very well. If I wish to use this killer power supply with another amp, i just hook it right up.

A Review:

I listened to this amp with HD600s, my best cans. First impression compared to META42: wow. could not believe my ears. Even a MP3, the Gilmore amp reproduced so much better than the META42. It's like when you're on a plane, and you pop your ears - and your hearing is suddenly much more detailed. Going from a META42 to this amp is just like that. Everything is more open and detailed. The bass is incredible, you can just feel it all around you. The mids and highs are also superior to the META42 amp, in that they are more detailed and open. The Gilmore amp powers my HD600s to more than enough volume. Also, I listened on some Sony MDR-V600 cans and they came out of their shell a bit, and sounded great compared to how they are with a weaker amp. I know i'm not too good in reviews, so i'll summarize it this way: the META42, and any of my opamp based amps, sound far away and muddy in comparison to this amp.

Without further ado...the pictures:

cover_shot.jpg

A shot of my baby and headphones together

front.jpg

The front..look at those LEDs glow

back.jpg

The back, where all the action begins..

inside.jpg

The inside! Yes, the amp itself is tiny - those are miniboards.

Thanks for checking my amp out. Ever finish a project and you just can't stop smiling and looking at it? This is that project for me! Any inquiries about this amp, just post and i will respond.

-antness

Sep 4, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 13
funny... these headphones get loud, LOUD, with my panasonic portable cd player and sound great with it. same with my klipsch promedia heapdhone outputs and my Yamaha receiver... i don't REALLY need an amp, and i tried a $1499 tube amp the other day, solid state sounded better to me, and it was not even THAT much of an improvement in sound. These headphones sound so good out of the box!

Sep 4, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by klipschter
funny... these headphones get loud, LOUD, with my panasonic portable cd player and sound great with it. same with my klipsch promedia heapdhone outputs and my Yamaha receiver... i don't REALLY need an amp, and i tried a $1499 tube amp the other day, solid state sounded better to me, and it was not even THAT much of an improvement in sound. These headphones sound so good out of the box!

Cool, the cans should sound pretty good out of the headphone jack on your receiver. If thats your main rig, just stick with that for now.

Sep 4, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Originally posted by klipschter

whta do you think of the price i paid? $225 with tax.
________

Hey klipschter !!

Welcome ! I hope you have a good time here !

Do you mind telling us where did you get your HPs?

Best

Ari

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Hey. I went to Audio Demensions, the audio department inside of the great indoors (www.thegreatindoors.com) and saw the headphones for $250. I then went to Tweeter Home Entertainment and told them the advertised price, they said they could not beat or even meet that price. I went to another Tweeter Home Entertainment, they said that they would not only meet it, but beat it by $25. So I got them for $250, then -$25, plus another -$50 from Sennheiser's website (offer is over now) so I really only paid... $250-25-50=175! So yeah, I only paid $175 for my Sennheiser HD600's with an MSRP of $450, that is $275 off the retail price, which is 62% off the retail price. What a deal eh?!

Now I am building a CMoy amp and having some issues...

1. I got the wrong capacitors
2. I forgot the potentiometer
3. It say it is a one channel amp... but i want stereo... am I just messed up the head?
4. I have no clue if I got the right OPAMP, I got the TL082 Dual Bifet OPAMP from Radio Shack (Part# 276-1715)
5. Some other minor things.

I know that this is not the best amp, but i really don't even need one, and I just wanted something to do, hence why I did not care to get super quality parts, just the best Radio Shack sells.

This is the amp I am building
http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy2_prj.htm

Here is what I have
271-309A::50 Peice Metal Film Resistor Assortment
274-246A:
frown.gif
2) For stereo input and stereo output
276-1715:
frown.gif
2) TL082 Dual BIFET OPAMP
272-802::::20 Assorted Electrolytic Capacitors
276-149A::General Purpose Component PC Board
278-1223::18AWG electrical wire
276-2400::5x5 inch Antistatic Conductive Foam
275-624A::MicroMini Toggle Switch
276-309::::5mm Wide Angle Red LED (1.7V-20mA-800mcd)
276-079:::
frown.gif
5) Snap-in Panel Mount LED Holders
Some Solder
A 9V Battery
A 9V Battery connector
Altoid (Cinnamon Flavor) Tin

Total was more than expected, $33.31.

So, what did I mess up?
smily_headphones1.gif

I know I should have gotten the 276-310 LED, but they were out, this was the lowest powered one they had, and is clear which is nice, and i don't care if it is not super bright. Longer battery
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back