Just got my w5000!!! (obligatory pics added - 56K BEWARE!)
Mar 16, 2007 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
...that was the most painful unpacking experience ever. Opened the box, dug through paper, found another, open the other found a third one ?! In the third one was the actual case, which I could not quite get a grip on the cover of to make it open...go Audiocubes, stretch out the experience! (no complaints about actual shipping time, shipped on Monday received in USA on Friday).

Took the headphone out of the box - kinda heavy, but looks very dark and really impressive, my type of headphone look =] Finish - perfect, smooth, and the grain is all in one direction on both cups, wave with corners upwards, looks slick!
Cable even though was rolled up untangle in matter of seconds, great. Plugged into my Larocco, boot up the amp and the Micro DAC, time to have some fun.

First - untempered check for comfort. Inside the leather pads there is just enough space to fit my ears - no less, no more, and the leather firmly seals around my ear, sound isolation is just enough so that I don't have to hear anything outside my room anymore nor the noise of my computer. Excellent.
The weight of the headphone does not feel as much as it did in the hands, I guess it is distributed very well. Lack of full-size headband also yields less pressure on the top of the head, which so far is very pleasant, the only headphone that I have ever worn that matched the comfort was Stax SR-303/404, although the Stax headband feels differently.

And the sound? Well I'll have to do some comparisons later on or it will be hellishly biased, but out of the box it is awesome. I can attest to it sounding balanced and very intimate unlike anything else I have heard. Detail is astounding, the bass is deep and this is the first headphone I do not get a 'rubbery bass' sensation out of. And it does not sound closed at all to me, there is a sense of an open sound, or something of an own little word existing in these cups that is beautiful.

In short - glad I took the plunge, 5 minutes and no regrets. Cheers to all who have answered my plentiful questions regarding this headphone, all the replies fit perfectly together.

For some long overdue pics:
athw5k1ii5.jpg

athw5k2bg0.jpg

athw5k3un6.jpg

athw5k4rg9.jpg

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 84
Congratulations on your W5000! Mine's just arrived in Australia but unfortunately they don't deliver on weekends so I'll have to wait till Monday after work to open them!

I ordered mine from Audiocubes as well, so they packed it really really well from the sounds of it.

I'm sure there are enough pictures of the W5000 on the web, but post some more!

Renesis

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 84
Congrats! very nice cans indeed aren't they?

my experience with 'rubbery bass' is that you will need to crank up the volume a little to get it, higher than normal listening level. Whereas HD650 and AD2000 cans have it at normal listening level.

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 84
except for I don't like rubbery bass, that was a + for me
tongue.gif

Pictures coming once I get to steal my roomy's Olympus, wanted to crank out some pics of my entire setup anyways. These cans are really amazing me atm.

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 84
Congratulations on your W5000 again! May our family increase...Enjoy the music first....you certainty have a great tool for it.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 84
Congrats on your W5000 and the Larocco PRII
icon10.gif

Maybe I should buy some W5000s. I have the CD3000s which I love but I am thinking of doing something different in the closed headphone world - would love to buy a pair of L3000s but maybe the W5000s will do the job?

Hmmmm.....

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 84
Mine have shipped..hopefully not far away. Can't wait to try them with the Yamamoto amp...the W1000s are good so how much better are the W5000s going to be.

Looks like Audio Cubes lowered price has prompted a few to lay waste to the bank card.l

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 84
I am sure this was a rhetorical question but there will be a definite difference in quality and emotional content from your music. Both are increase going from teh W1000 to the W5000. But knowing that you may very well find that the W1000 could be more to your liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have shipped..hopefully not far away. Can't wait to try them with the Yamamoto amp...the W1000s are good so how much better are the W5000s going to be.

Looks like Audio Cubes lowered price has prompted a few to lay waste to the bank card.l

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 84
This thread is seriously useless...ahem...hint...pic...ahem
wink.gif

How do they sound with classical music (if you listen to any), in particular choral, piano, orchestral?

A serious congratulations! I'm green with envy...

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 84
[size=small]Emotional![/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do they sound with classical music (if you listen to any), in particular choral, piano, orchestral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back