Just got my SR-325's
Oct 27, 2002 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

D-Audi

Head-Fier
Well after a LOT of reading reviews and such I decided on the SR-325's for my musical tastes ($218 brand new w/ warranty overnight shipped helped too). Granted, I am only running them through my PC (SB Audigy) and playing mp3's I am still pretty impressed. The phones are a little 'shrill' for my tastes but I'm hoping that will clear up with break-in time and upgraded equipment. The ear-pads are NOT what people make them out to be. They are FINE. They aren't by any means ''ahhh, comfortable'' but they aren't ''GET THESE THINGS OFF ME'', not by a long shot. I don't even notice them on my ears, honestly. The headband, now thats another story. I need to really modify the headband, because after 5 minutes the top of my head starts to ache (must be a really sensitive area). I have tried bending it and everything, but I think it's just the 'pressure' and hard leather, no biggy, I will mess with it later. I'm not going to write out a long detailed review, based on the fact nobody will take it seriously considering my equipment and source. I do plan on making the EAR+ amp (can't afford the assembled or KIT, so I'm making one from scratch) and eventually hooking it up to a DVD/CD player, but mp3's are fine for me at the moment. I STILL can't tell the difference between a fresh QUALITY mp3 rip and the 'real thing'. Maybe these Grado's will open my eyes, hopefully.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 10
The price on these has really come way down! When will this happen with the RS series?

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
The phones are a little 'shrill' for my tastes

You can address that by replacing the bowl pads with a pair of comfy pads (the one that come stock on the SR-60). I did that on mine and IMO, there was an immediate improvement. Warmer and more intimate.

Oct 27, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 10
I've heard the flat 'comfy' pads mess w/ the sounstage, which I'm not willing to sacrifice. That's just what I've heard I could be wrong. As far as the price it was a 1 time deal thing, it was 2nd day air, not overnight - I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I just did a lot of probing and bargaining to get my way
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
I've heard the flat 'comfy' pads mess w/ the sounstage, which I'm not willing to sacrifice.

True...like I said, the sound becomes more intimate. For me, the trade-off was worth it. YMMV.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 10
72? wow...72 of straight playing?? What kind of stuff should I break them in with? I've been playing pink noise at moderate/high volumes through them for about 12hours so far...have seen a 'little' improvement...not alot though...

Oct 27, 2002 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Pink noise is fine but I prefer music. I use a mix of discs with deep bass, high frequency attacks, and big dynamic swings.

For bass I highly recommend Pomp & Pipes. Best low end stress test by far, with notes plumbing a mind numbing 8hz, and great music to boot (no crummy synth generated bass). This is the one you bring out after a heated debate about whether sub 50hz response matters (or 30, 20...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 10
K i'm playing a mix of songs w/ pink noise in the mix too. It's been about 20+ hours of breakin and I'm noticing a difference. It's not a big difference but it's there. It still has that 'shrill' character to it, but only on certain songs now, instead of EVERY song when I first got them. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm going to order a pair of hd590's and build some good cables for them for comparison. I'll keep which ones I like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back