Just got my 'new' Sony D-5
Apr 7, 2004 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bobby C

Head-Fier
I bought a D-5 off of EBay ($20) - the seller said it was in near mint condition. Well, he was right, not a scratch on the baby, even came in the original box. One of the nice touches is the box still had the original Sony punch card in a sleeve on the side. Hadn't seen one of these in a while
cool.gif

The unit is about twice as high as my D-10 that it is replacing. It was manufactured in October of 1985 and comes with a docking station (with an integral power converter & power cord) that takes the single line out from the CD and splits it into a L/R channel. The supplied RCA cables went right to the garbage, however upon reflection I dug them out to keep a 'complete original' package in case someone wants it that way in the future.

I liked my D-10 (June, '87), however lately it has been powering up and spinning, then after 10 seconds it powers down. With a little persuasion (slight shaking), it has been running and in fact I've had no problems in the last few weeks. However a dependable rig is important.

This is in my office setup - not exactly portable so this bigger unit is no problem. The setup now includes the D-5 (w/out the docking station), the original power supply that came with the D-10 (same specs), a Twisted Pair Designs IC able, a McCormack MID amp (love it) and a pair of Omega low impendence speakers. I don't use 'phones at work much - too many interruptions, speakers work best here.

It's a nice looking unit, it has some heft which is fine for the application. The controls are nicely laid out and the display is large & clear. Upon initial testing, it seems less prone to skipping, although that wasn't much of a problem w/ the D-10.

As for sound - I threw in Sonny Clark's 'Leapin' and Lopin' - a fine disk by any standard. My first impression was the line-out was more powerful than the D-10, I can almost make the office shake with the 5wpc McCormack. I think the unit was never played, it has that new 'burn-in' smell, I expect that to go away shortly. The sound is very good, I'll have to plug my Ety's in to do a better comparison, but I think the unit is slightly more detailed than the D-10. It is brighter, but (at least with this setup), not too bright. Details are great at low volume, Billy Higgin's work is nice and detailed.

I'm not sure what to do w/ my D-10, anyone interested in the unit? As I said, it is now working, but sometimes it powers down right after powering up. It just might need some slight maintenance, not sure.

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper - new stuff is cool, especially a well-made, early Sony PCDP.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 2
The D5 has a full power line out (probably why it sounds louder than the D10)... also, due to using an older style motor, gets very hot very quickly (probably the smell you noticed)...

...I've been assured its nothing to worry about, and that these motors are made to sustain a major bashing, although its worrying the first time you play a couple of CDs, and feel the underside of the unit...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back