Just got my New PC with ATI 9700 Pro !!!
Oct 3, 2002 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Just came in yesterday,

AMD Althon 2200+,
ASUS A7V333 with 1G PC2700 RAM (8 USB ports!!!)
ATI 9700 PRO v1.1
SB Audigy
PCI TV card with remote
LiteOn 16X DVD
CyberDrive CD-RW
420w Suntek PSU (I didn't pick the brand)

Spent all day yesterday installing programs on it, all run very well. played 30 minutes each on MOHAA & JKII and both played flawlessly, AA and AF both was on max, no glitches, no slowdown. Perfect.

Only one little thing, whenever I run 3DViz 2, after I use it, I couldn't shut down the computer. Need a Hard reboot to get back into Winxp then shut down again.

Oh, the IQ is miles better then my TNT2 Ultra!

Oct 3, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 19
Lol, on those games my geforce3ti200 also gets great frames everything maxed. Try something else, like UT2003... STUNNING!!!

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 19
The 9700 smokes 'em all... by a wide margin. Even the mighty GF4 4600 is toast.

Raymond, I will never speak with you again if you fail to purchase Battlefield 1942. A system like that deserves nothing less.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
I'm sorry. What made you not get a gf4?

I've been outta the whole mad PC upgrading scene for a while now, but from the last I read, the ATI 9700 smokes all the current Nivida cards by a wide margin. In fact this is ATI's very trump card that will allow them to hold the video card market at least till November, which is when Nvidia will release their next gen NV30 based card. But until then, Nvidia apparently has nothing to fight the 9700 with, so if you want the latest and greatest, it is the one to get.

Just what I gathered from reading, don't hold it against me if it's otherwise.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Why not a GF4? well, the ATI 9700 was only a £35 upgrade frmo the GF4 ti4600 so I thought, what the hell!

And I want a card with the best Image Quailty, ATI (and Matrox) are well known to be much better then niVidia in that area. Plus also the fact that the 9700 is a much much better 3D card then all of the card on the market today. Until the NV30, there is simply no competition. And I couldn't wait for the NV30 as I need to computer for University this month, plus I got it Tax free through where I used to work.
biggrin.gif

Nick, as for Battlefield 1942, I WILL get it when ATI release some new drivers, at the moment, lots of people are having problem with that game with the early drivers. So, why rush? I still got MOHAA & JKII to tied me up for a few weeks yet.

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 19
The 9700 is a GREAT card however i have had some trouble with mine, but this should be expected with any new technology. The new 2.3 drivers have fixed a few visual glitch's. another thing to keep in mind about your new card is if you ever need to upgrade your firmware in the card your only option is to mail it back to ati, for this reason i suggest picking up a cheap vid card should this ever happen. Check out Hardocp.com and download their UT2003 benchmarking program... then crap
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 19
raymondlin,

Does the Asus A7V333 motherboard that you got have RAID or not?
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I have just replaced an Abit KR7A-133 motherboard with an Asus A7V333 myself. Except that my board lacks a RAID controller (and thus no FireWire capability built-in). You see, Abit has continued to leave existing users in the lurch as far as upgrading the processor is concerned! Unmodded, the KR7A-133 can't support any Athlon XP's over 2100+ speed or any of the newer 0.13-micron AXP's (code-named Thoroughbred); it only supports the older 0.18-micron processors up to the Palomino AXP. And to add Thoroughbred-A (early Thoroughbred) support to the KR7A-133 you'll have to RMA the board directly to Abit for hardware modifications.

BTW, my A7V333 has all of six USB ports (as I've assembled my system, four of the six USB ports are USB 2.0-compliant; the other two are USB 1.1).

And what made you get a SB Audigy? Are the only choices (other than motherboard-integrated onboard audio) all being Creative Sound Blaster cards?

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Eagle Driver

The ASUS A7V333 does have RAID, but I think it's a optional part that you can get or not. I don't think mine came with it, but I don't know for sure as I only have 1 HD. How do I check if I can?

MY ASUS has 8 USB ports ! 2 USB 1.1 at the front and 4 USB 2.0 on the mobo at the back and a PCI card that as 2 USB 1.1 & a Serial port.

What made me pick the Audigy? actually it was the only choice, only Dell here sell the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, everywhere else you get the Audigy. I didn't want to get a Dell PC just for the Soundcard, but the Audigy is not bad. I don't listen music with it anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 19
raymondlin,

Your ENTIRE system has eight USB ports. You are right that you have four USB 2.0 and four USB 1.1 ports. But on the motherboard's built-in rear ports two of those ports are USB 1.1 and the other two are USB 2.0. And that "PCI" card is actually a backplate that covers up an expansion slot in the case; it contains two USB 2.0 ports and a gameport (not a serial port). However, you MUST enable the motherboard's integrated CMedia onboard audio chip in order to enable the gameport. But since you got an Audigy, the onboard audio should be disabled. And I will assume that you will use a USB joystick or gamepad; the only way that you can use a gameport with the Audigy is if you attach the Audigy-bundled daugterboard that contains the gameport (you'll have to eat up another expansion slot with that daughterboard) - unless the connector at the end of the cable leading from your A7V333's gameport happens to be compatible with the internal connector on your Audigy (the Audigy card itself has no gameport at all, but instead has a FireWire/IEEE1394 connector).

At any rate, the A7V333 comes standard with six USB ports - four USB 2.0 and two USB 1.1. The two USB 1.1 ports at the front of the case are actually part of the case that you've purchased along with the other parts.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks for that info, there are 5 PCI slots in my computer, 1 APG. The 9700 is right at the top, the PCI below that is Free (for ventilation). The one below that is the Audigy , somehting like this

ATI 9700
Nothing
Audigy
USB + Game port (I supposed this is the daughter board)
PCI TV card
Modem

Which USB ports are 2.0 and which one is 1.1 ? I supposed the 4 on the mobo is USB 2.0.

btw, I don't have any gamepad as I only play FPS & RPG on my computer so Mouse and keyboard are best with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back