Just got my first lighter (Zippo) today! [PICS]
Jun 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #76 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Baldux, they look different sizes, no? So the butane insert wouldn't fit in my Zippo size Rippo... Just looks higher quality than the others I have seen that are meant to fit Zippos.

The butane gas refill insert on the right is called Thunderbird by Vector KGM and fits perfectly the standard Zippo size. It's build very well and 100% reliable but probably you'll miss the original smell.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #77 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
years and years back i bought a Zippo from a store up north that had the Mona Lisa with a awesome Frog face, it was perfectly classy look to the real Mona Lisa!

then at a Aerosmith concert it fell out of my pocket while i was running in front of a crowd trying to get the good lawn seats when the gates opened...
ever since then i never carried a Zippo (even though i have a BMW Zippo around somewhere). to be honest i think they are over rated compared to the Simple and cheap Bic lighter, and they suck when your lighting a cigar.

i always had them blow out with wind so their main selling point to me was more legend. the amount of times you will need to refill the fluid and change the flint seems like a complete waste compared to how long a plastic Bic will last you. if you lose your Zippo your going to be pissed off but if you lose your Bic then its nothing..maybe your going to be pissed that someone took it on you at the Bar though

I completely agree with you.

I have a bunch of Zippos over the years, they look cool and are well done but at the end they are simply not practical. If you are a regular smoker you will take out your lighter a dozen of times a day or even leave it out when sitting in a pub and I have lost 2 Zippos in doing so. Zippos are also quite heavy which adds unnecessary weight in my pockets. The gasoline smell is also annoying and it alters the taste of the first puff of your cigar/cigarette.

Now I mostly use bright colored bics as well. It is light, easy to spot in the dark, you won't have a bad day if you loose it and it doesn't smell or leave a bad taste. I just buy a pack of dozen bics, leave one in the bag, office, car, jacket etc... and I always have a lighter handy and they last for a few years.

I guess during WW2 and Vietnam they must have been practical therefore the legend of Zippo but not so much today, still the clicking sound remains awesome.

All the impracticalities aside, a personalised/engraved Zippo remains a cool present to gift to your buddies and it is not expensive to have them engraved.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #78 of 83
I've got an American flag zippo

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #79 of 83
I didn't think that I wanted one either, they're not good with cigars, make them taste funny.

I do however like to go camping and Am in the Army reserve so I figured Id buy one that symbolized my patriotism a bit.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/us-army-green-matte-finish-lighter-standard-issue-series-p-729.html

I wasn't into the flashy stuff so i grabbed the dull finish one, the letters are glossy but that's it.

I youtubed how to do tricks with it.

I like the one where you blow the flame out then restart it by 'throwing your hand on it' like your conjuring something from your palm.

Pretty easy to do for a beginner.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #80 of 83
i bought one of these the other day at my local walgreens for $20. the only "con" i have is that i cannot use it upside down. great lighter, with excellent build quality. i can see it lasting a lifetime.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #82 of 83
I've experimented with many of the aftermarket inserts and the butane Thunderbird by Vector came out on top. Soft-flame, identical to the classic Zippo flame albeit none of that good naptha smell, and it's cheap!

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #83 of 83
I used to have many Zippos years ago (among many other ligher-fi worthy lighters) but have managed to lose them all (the 7 years that I quit smoking in between then and now helped...)

Don't intend to use this, but I picked it up a few months back.

Gonna quit smoking again after my vacation this week...  but I have been using any cheap bic lighter I can find during the last 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back