Just got my EGGO's!!!
Oct 11, 2002 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up my brand new D66 from the postoffice (only 5 days from order at audiocubes to delivery in the middle of nowhere, Norway).

I love this phone right out of the box! Bought it to replace my 7506 for portable use and without having burned them in yet I like the d66 so much more. Far better soundstage and more balanced sound. And 10 times as portable! (but not as durable I think).

Only hope they will get even better with a little burn in!

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 36
sort of on topic, but I've been playing with my D66 and figure that I can get a tad more isolation without affecting the character of the sound. Anyone else want to play about with multilayered cloth covers for the tyvek membrane inside the phone behind the black chrome 'dot'?

(that's inside the phone, not outside... No duct tape for Magicthyse, thank for very much - I even used spherical dollops of silver adhesive for the EX70 'tape mod')

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 36
It has only been 30 min since my last post, but I'm already renaming them to BEGGO's. They make me beg for more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
I love my D66s.
biggrin.gif

I'll never upgrade for portable again!

Muwahahahahaha
famous last words, mate....
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 36
By the way, I plugged in the D66's into the DJ mixer for another laugh (the first laugh was an HD600, which shut us all up and was mighty impressive - everyone was saying 'a pity they're open').

Amazin'. These babies can really take the power as well as work from weedy sources! When the DT250-80 were going distorto-city, these were still trucking.

As far as response is concerned, compared with the DT250-80 it's almost like if you took a fixed length piece of wood and moved it slightly sideways - the D66 has more treble and less bass, in almost exactly the same proportions. The lesser bass is however sufficient for most types of music - if the HD280 is OK in bass response for some of you guys, then the D66 is more than OK. The treble on the D66 in comparison is brighter without being unduly fatiguing.

I'm even more impressed now - these phones redefine flexibility.

Oct 12, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 36
Unless you want a phone specifically to listen at home, I don't think the DT231 will be of much help.

At home, from a decent but relatively power-limited source like a quality headphone jack from a separates MD deck for example, or a PC soundcard, the DT231 sounds superb. In fact, much the same sort of use that a new Grado SR60 buyer might put his phones to. I generally consider the DT231 as a direct replacement to the SR60 in many home situations.

But as an alternative portable it doesn't really make much sense because of the almost total lack of isolation.

Oct 13, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 36
i loved my dear d66's... may they rest in peace...

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

i do implore you, all u fortunate ones who have found solace in ur respective eggos, treat them more delicately than u might a babe, for the one moment u neglect to handle them with the utmost care, they will break...

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

well, it's not so bad, but those phones aren't exactly industrial-grade... so be careful linnem. it's not just the flimsy plastic or the thin metal wire either... the cables will come out at the slightest tug... *sniff*... i know all too well...

Oct 13, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 36
Yes, I have to agree on the durability issue. They do not feel like they will hold up to too much abusive handling. We should come up with an alternative to the crappy headphone bag sony supplies, something light and rigid, yet small.

I'm currently burning my pair in (24 H+ now), and since I wont get my new Porta Corda until next week I will wasit to post more sound info until then. They are a bit harder to drive then your average low imp. phone (40 ohms i guess). Made a quick comparison to a well burnt in senn 497 and the senn is just plain boring in my view.

Does the 66 have tilted drivers? The soundstage is bigger then I would expect from this type of phone?

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 36
Take a peek inside - the drivers are indeed tilted.
biggrin.gif

And yep, 40 ohms. Check the pack.
My biggest gripe with the D66s are it's "flying wires".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back