Just got my E4s! Impressions.
Mar 19, 2006 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, my ears feel like it's getting raped. Probably because its been like a month and a half since I've worn any other IEMs. I got mine from American Techpushers for $194 USD, shipped to my door in Canada. Not bad considering they MSRP for $300 USD.
The tips do make a big difference here. The foamies produce the bassiest sound, but tri/bi-flanges come close. The soft grey tips produces a much more muddier sound.
The bass is there, certainly not up to basshead standards, but its there. Very tight, which I like. I can listen to rap with these.
biggrin.gif

The mids are stunning, certainly more so impressive than my MS-1s. Vocals just sound more lush and smooth.
The highs are just merely okay. Certainly, when compared with my MS-1s, the Shures just don't have the energy that the Alessandros have. I think that the Ety ER-6is had more highs than these. One good thing about a rolled off high end is that sibalance is controlled much better, and it is easier to listen to them for a longer period of time.
If not for the ear pain and the loss of some highs, I would be raving about these IEMs. I like them, though, and they should grow on me.

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 17
the e4's are a fantastic earphone and i agree with you that tyhe foamies and tri flanges are much better than the other buds supplied. IMO the grey and clear buds are next to useless: no isolation and poor sound.

How about some more comparisons between the ms-1 and ur e4's, since i currently have e4's and i am ordering my ms-1 very soon. Which is more "fun" to listen to. Hows the bass compare?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I say that the MS-1s are more fun to listen to, simply because the any kind of drums sound so realistic with it. The highs simply have that extra something that you can't find with the E4s. Listening to the high hat and cymbals in any well recorded rock; the drums seem to be there in that very same room. Mids are pretty dry sounding, though, compared to the E4s. I'm still keeping the E4s, simply because the MS-1s are a pain to listen to on any moving vehicle.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 17
I just received my E4s as well and I have to agree with your analysis.
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm OK with the gray buds, but the clear ones didn't work too well for me. I'll have to try the flanges, but that style never worked as hearing protection for me while in the military, so I doubt they'll give me a good seal here.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 17
The grey flex sleeves are alright but it hurt my ear after wearing them for about 2-3 hours. The clear ones are just plain bad.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 17
Your ear canals adjust to the ER 4 in a few weeks - discomfort goes away.

ER 4S goes really well with the BLAudio amp (click on my link in my eqipment) that gives a very smooth and sweet sound.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I'm surprised you said the foamies have more bass than tri-flanges. To me, the foamies do sound better overall but the tri-flanges have more low-end emphasis.

Art: Foamies have more seal - better bass and more noise isolation - at first.

However the foam seal quickly lessens with use - less bass and less noise isolation. The latex tri-flanges last much longer and perform better after 2 to 3 weeks or more.

For economical maintenance of Etys check this out:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160027

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, I guess I am a freak. I actually like the clear ones
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

But I only like the small clear ones normally sold with the e2cs (diff. shape than the smalls supplied with the e3/e4/e5) so I stuck some of the grey tubes (cut off the sleeve) into the larger tube of the e2c sleeve and this is now my fav. tip.

Tne grey's feel really nice and soft at first, but they make my ears ache really quickly.
Foamies are a hassle:get dirtly, take more time (compressing),are ugly, harder to clean, wear out etc.
Tri-flange: I may have to give these another shot with all of teh positive things said about them here, but I have to be careful with those because they can go in deep or REALLY deep (to the dark wax area)

I was one the bus teh other day and I noticed that I heard voices pretty easily with my phones on, so I dont think my grey/clear tip mod is the best for isolation.

my $.02
thebrain

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Shure E4s, grey version.

OPPS!

I misread your initial post - thought you had the ER 4s.

My previous remarks don't apply.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Foamies are always the best.
etysmile.gif
I haven't tried IEM's with buds but tri-flanges hae horrible veil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back