Just got my Dual 1009F!
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok so I put in the cartridge, balanced the tone arm etc and put in some records. They are dusty but I didn't want to do anything wrong so I just let them play anyway. For some reason there is an intimacy throughout the whole experience that after I set everything up and put in the first record that made it all instantly worth it. A few questions. I am approaching the end of summer and trying to save money for school - already putting off a couple of purchases. I understand that I need record care equipment but can't spend hundreds here. Considering the fact that I will have a job at school but need some stuff to hold me over what is the bare minimum that I need to keep the table and records clean and not damage them. I know I need a brush, something for the needle aswell? Also, should I purchase a mat for it? I feel like it is counter productive to clean a record then turn it over on the table where there must be dust etc. Please let me know what you think, in the mean time I have music to listen to. I will post pictures later!

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 24
Congrats! You are going to love vinyl.

I'm posting from the phone, but Google how to wash records by hand in the sink. You can do it cheap and get good results. Pick up a carbon fiber record brush for about $20. Run it over the record before you play it and again before you put the record away.

You can use a clean sleeve to set a record on, or preferably in. I pay about 10 cents for each one, so they're cheap. Get a bunch of them and use a new sleeve for any cleaned record.

You should be able to pull all of this off for $30-$40. Hope you enjoy your deck!

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Some folks use a mixture of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. Then dry the record with single ply tissue paper, and let air dry in a clean dish rack. Then use a carbon fiber record brush to remove the lint left over from the tissue. A microfibre cloth may work instead of the tissue, but I'm not sure how absorbent they are. The key is to get the liquid out of the grooves, because the dust and grime will be suspended in the liquid, which is why the tissue works well.

The best method is a vacuum system like a NittyGritty or a VPI, because then the liquid and grime is sucked out of the grooves. You may be able to pick up a used vacuum cleaner for a fair price if look around. I use a VPI and it was well worth the investment.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best method is a vacuum system like a NittyGritty or a VPI, because then the liquid and grime is sucked out of the grooves. You may be able to pick up a used vacuum cleaner for a fair price if look around. I use a VPI and it was well worth the investment.

RECORD CLEANING AT KABUSA.COM have a bare bones version of the Nitty Gritty system which you can use with a standard vacuum cleaner hose. They appear to have hiked the price up by 60USD though
frown.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok problem here. It plays only out of the left channel and leaks into the right. It isn't the cable. How do I diagnose this?

Systematically. Tracking these problems is not rocket science but does require some time and care.

Preamble - check that the headshell wires are secure.

1. Is it the cartridge ?

Change the wiring on the cartridge so the R and L channels are swapped. If the cartridge is faulty the good channel will now come out of the other speaker, otherwise the cart is okay and the problem is downstream.

2. Phono (RCA) leads from turntable ?

Swap the flying leads into the phono preamp, if one of the leads is faulty the good channel will now come out of the other speaker. If not then the problem is downstream.

3. Phono preamp to amp

Are both channels coming out of the preamp ?. One channel works so logically the cable that carries that signal works. Disconnect the RCA lead from the non-working channel at the both ends, you now have one working channel. Now take the RCA lead out of the working channel at the preamp end and plug it into the other channel at the preamp end - do you still get a signal ?, if so both channels of the preamp are working.

4. Is it the cable

Unplug the working channel and reconnect it using the other RCA lead. Does it still give a signal - if so the cable is fine and the amp is faulty

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 24
I have many many thousands of records. They fill a small room. Here is how I take care of them...

I fill two bowls... one with distilled white vinegar, and the other with distilled water.

I take four brand new sponges- first I wet the record down with vinegar with one sponge, then I carefully remove the vinegar with the other. Repeat with distilled water. Make sure the last sponge you use is perfectly clean.

Towel dry in the direction of the grooves with a soft terry towel. Let the record air dry overnight, and replace it in a new paper sleeve. (Not the same old dirty one!)

Once you have done this, a quick brush before playing is all you need.

See ya
Steve

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I don't know if this is it but it looks like the cartridge is broken, the lead attached to the red wire won't stay in place.

If you mean the thin headshell wire going to the red terminal on the cartridge or on the slider, the 1009f has a slide in widget which you attach the cartridge to and then slide it into the headshell,

zb1.jpg

that would very likely be the problem. These wires are replaceable they come in packs of 4

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 24
try pinching it a bit with needle nose pliers to make the connector n the end of the wire sit firmer.

See ya
Steve

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 24
On the top of the picture, those long metal things - the red one won't stay put and isn't locked in like the rest. Sorry for not knowing the terminology.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

On the top of the picture, those long metal things - the red one won't stay put and isn't locked in like the rest. Sorry for not knowing the terminology.

Ah, not so good, you could try gently bending it to make better contact but you may need to replace tthe headshell.

Does it drop out if you turn the headshell over ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back