Just got my Beyer DT880s today from Meier Audio!
Jan 4, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by moj0
with the DT880, i'm like the closest u can get to the stage, or maybe on the stage. the vocals are in your face, imean the artists lips/mouth. sounds do come from way back or extreme sides. the thump and twangs are lively. comparitively less bass. really great to be in/with the music.

The DT880 is more upfront than the HD650, but to call it an upfront headphone is incorrect IMO. Grados are *far* more so, to the point of being in your face. To my ears, the DT880 is about three rows back from the stage, where the HD6x0 series is like 7 or 8 rows.

Also something to note, listen carefully to the treble of both headphones because they are basically opposites. The HD650 treble is slightly muted while DT880 treble is slightly boosted. The key word here is "slightly" with both cans, which produces a laid back vs. lively presentation. Depends which you like more, but over time I've concluded that I like the liveliness better... it just gets me more involved in the music.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 23
Yeah, there's just no way I'd agree with identifying Beyerdynamic as being upfront. I don't have too much experience with higher end Sennheisers, but the DT 880 simply lacks the impact that you'd feel being that close to the stage. If you think the 880s are upfront, then listening to Grados would be like making out with the lead singer WHILE he's singing the song.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
I haven't heard mention of ye goode olde CUSTOMS - duty. How was that handled.........did any German vendors save us money in that regard, or did the US post office hold up the package until you appeared with an additional 5% or so before releasing the pkg.. How did it work for US buyers?

I asked Meier about it before I purchased mine and he said that there weren't any dues or anything for packages coming in to the States with a declared value under 300$. I'm still waiting on my pair to arrive (ordered the week before Christmas, so I don't really expect them any time soon).

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 23
I have. It was some leather products. Postman left a form in the mailbox that duty of $xxx would be due .......instruction to go to main Post Office with the amount due before package would be released. I was a private customer and not a company regularly importing goods and valuation was less than a $1k. Duty on leathergoods was 7%. You've been very fortunate...........I simply don't know, offhand, how US duty regs. apply to headphones and similar products - because both product classification, monetary value, and country of origin are factors in levying duty.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yeah, there's just no way I'd agree with identifying Beyerdynamic as being upfront. I don't have too much experience with higher end Sennheisers, but the DT 880 simply lacks the impact that you'd feel being that close to the stage. If you think the 880s are upfront, then listening to Grados would be like making out with the lead singer WHILE he's singing the song.

I really have to listen to some grados in the future.. i've only seen all these desciptions about them since before i started shopping around for headphones.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 23
Don't compare them to anything, except the music
biggrin.gif
Enjoy your new cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back