Just got Little Dot I+, music doesnt sound much different!?
Oct 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JimmyJunk

New Head-Fier
Argh, I was afraid this would happen.

So I just got my Little Dot I+, which came very quicky from China.

I have it hooked up to my computers soundcard, since I dont have my DAC yet, and am listening on a pair of old HD565, which I dont know much about.

Doing A/B listening with the LD and directly out of the computer, I really dont hear a dramatic difference. In fact, I think it sounds better directly out of the computer, which I definitely didnt think should be the case.

I do understand the concept of amp burn in, but I really thought it would sound better than this out of the box. This is my first amp, so I guess I wasnt entirely sure what to expect.

Can anyone make me feel better that the amp will eventually sound decent?

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyJunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone make me feel better that the amp will eventually sound decent?

You may later find you prefer your system with the amp, and then again you may not. Synergy and personal preference will dictate this outcome. That's why Head-Fiers post in the amp forum, to find out what amp should work best with their system.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 23
Maybe if you give the amp a try with a dac you'll hear more difference. Or maybe the HD565 is not really sensitive to amplification (never heard them, so wouldn't know myself). Or perhaps you need some more time with the amp.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 23
And remember, in the discussions here everyone uses very big words for most of the time very subtle differences
biggrin.gif
(myself included of course).

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And remember, in the discussions here everyone uses very big words for most of the time very subtle differences
biggrin.gif
(myself included of course).

This is true, all placebo and hype
smily_headphones1.gif

No but seriously i think it's your headphones. Many lower end sennheisers i've tried (hd205/215/265/435) don't particularly benefit from using an amp. These senns also tend to sound always rather dark and bass heavy (except 265), which is a characteristic of this amp also, from what i've read at least
smily_headphones1.gif

I am quite fond of my HD25s, as i've stated quite a lot. But the design doesn't allow huge adjustments to elements, such as soundstage for example, since in this model it's already nearly inexistent.

But play a little more with your amp.

Plus I've tried my graham slee voyager out of headphone outputs and line outs. It's really quite different, at least in my case (emu 0202)
The headphone output may become a bottleneck for the amps attributes.

-K

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyJunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Reb, thanks for that.

I see you have the Little Dot I+, what do you think of it?

I find it quite wonderful. I mainly use it with a K501 and a K401 and the difference it makes is quite big. It creates a huge soundstage for the K401 and it gives the K501 a bit of warmth, while retaining depth and detail. I'm quite fond of it.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice is:

- Headphone (the most)
- Source (the second)
- Amp (the third)

You need badly to upgrade your headphone ...

What is the DAC you buyed ?

He doesn't have a DAC yet, so he's using a mediocre source with variable output, which can't be good news for the chain.

Indeed, you need to buy a KECES-151 DAC, then upgrade your headphones. The amp can hold its ground easily during this upgrade process.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Right, this is only the first part of my new, and first, setup.

I have a pair of HD595 coming, along with a hotusb DAC. Im hoping that once everything is in place, it will start to shine.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He doesn't have a DAC yet, so he's using a mediocre source with variable output, which can't be good news for the chain.

Doesn't that depend on which soundcard he is using? A soundcard is a DAC and the only benefit to an external DAC is that it is most likely a better quality DAC (not necessarily though) and is isolated from PC EMI. A good soundcard can sound just as good as an external DAC though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back