just got Gerry Rafferty's "City to City" album
Jul 30, 2002 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Neruda

Banned Moderator
I've been meaning to get this for a while, and I finally did, while I was shopping for some blank disks. This is yet another example of the music that my parents listened to, which burrowed itself into my subconscious during my childhood (others include the Police and Elton John). Great stuff. Most people will recognise "Baker Street," with its unforgettable saxaphone theme, but my favorite song might be "Right down the line". Anyone else like this CD?

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 8
"Music that my parents listened to"... perfect description.

I dig it. Guilty pleasure. Our generation makes great music if you know where to look... but we still have a lot to learn about harmony and soul.

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Cool cd. "Right Down the Line" is on of my favs. Gerry Rafferty was also in Steelers Wheel. Remember "Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to my right, here I am" Stuck in the Middle With You. For some reason, this cd reminds me of Al Stewart, Year of the Cat. Perhaps it's that sax riff.
Another one to add to my list!
thanks for posting that.
md

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 8
His next album was the Night Owl (1979), and it was almost as good as City to City. That album is not available on disc, but a few of the songs are available on a couple of greatest hists collections that are out.

I still have City to City and Night Owl on the vinyl that I bought all those years ago. I think I will dig them out and transer them to cd. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
"Music that my parents listened to"... perfect description.

I dig it. Guilty pleasure. Our generation makes great music if you know where to look... but we still have a lot to learn about harmony and soul.

I agree! Very little of the music I hear these days can match what these people were doing a few decades ago. It seems like these days people don't get into the music industry to make music, but as you said, you can find the good stuff if you look. But most of my favorites are from the 70s and 80s, like Dire Straits, Steely Dan, and others.

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Funny, I pretty much like all this music too and because my parents listen to it. Notable exception is Al Stewart. I really disklike his music for somereason. Supertramp is another group I'd lump into this category.

Aug 1, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 8
I haven't thought of this album in years. I've got it on vinyl somewhere. Am going to have to dig it out and have another listen. You've got great taste Neruda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back