**Just got Denon d2000's**
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:
The D2K's I find sound better when driven with an amp -> currently using the ZO2 - epic amounts of bass.

Now in terms of loose or not.
Used J$ pads or angle pads.

But angle pads are $100
And J$....well good luck finding a pair (its been around a month i've had a thread open fro a WTB)

Long story short, if you, like me, don't want to "waste" $100 i suggest looking into the beyerdynamic headband snap on.
It will add extra padding at top -> more comfortable, but also should, in theory provide a better clamp.

I might get one of those snap-ons and report back.
Only £16 from ebay

Needs to be a little stretched when fitting on though

Additionally, you could stuff the stock pads, as described here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-worlds-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods
and emulate J$ or angle pads. It's a fairly easy mod to do, and reversible.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #32 of 59
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #33 of 59
I'm happy with the pads and sound from mine right now. Once they have some real wear on them and I need to consider replacement I would look into J$ pads...

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 59

Quote:
I'm happy with the pads and sound from mine right now. Once they have some real wear on them and I need to consider replacement I would look into J$ pads...

If only they still made the J$ pads. I've actually been looking to get into Denon headphones for a while. It never seems like the price is right, though.
triportsad.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 59
I would really pay more than $60 for pads.
I mean common, for $100 I bought my MG7's.
In fact I bought my MG7's for $95...you can't expect me to pay the price of "top-tier" earphones (at least for my liking) for just "pads"....

That's what gets me.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 59
I'm also a recent owner of the D2000.  After just a bit of burn in, they jumped to the top tier of my mid-fi capped collection of cans.  They sit with the AKG Q 701 and Senn HD 600--each with its own unique voice.  I hope I'll be able to say the same for the Beyer DT 880 Pro when it gets around to showing up.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #37 of 59
How's the isolation - will I be able to enjoy music at work in an open environment without disturbing my colleagues?
I seem to find very different descriptions as to how much they bleed.

(Matt: how are the compared to the M50s in this regard?)

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #38 of 59
The isolation on the d2k is decent. They don't clamp very hard so it's not as isolating as the m50's. As long as you listen at normal volume then I think you'd be fine...

Good luck!!

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #39 of 59
For all intents and purposes, the denons are "semi open."  People will hear your music.  It won't be loud but they will hear it.  If this bothers them than the isolation is poor.  If they don't mind I suppose the isolation is adequate.

But if isolation is what you are going for i'd stick to different headphones.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #40 of 59
I am happy you like it!! i cant wait to get my Denon D2000!! trust me i did a lot of research on here through forums and online and everyone who has one loves it!! right now i am researching on which amp to power these bad boys, i might go with the Fiio e11, anyways happy listning!!
beyersmile.png

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #42 of 59

Quote:
The D2K's I find sound better when driven with an amp -> currently using the ZO2 - epic amounts of bass.

Now in terms of loose or not.
Used J$ pads or angle pads.

But angle pads are $100
And J$....well good luck finding a pair (its been around a month i've had a thread open fro a WTB)

Long story short, if you, like me, don't want to "waste" $100 i suggest looking into the beyerdynamic headband snap on.
It will add extra padding at top -> more comfortable, but also should, in theory provide a better clamp.

I might get one of those snap-ons and report back.
Only £16 from ebay

Needs to be a little stretched when fitting on though

After reading many many reviews on the bass of my newly arrived D2000, I was not impressed by it. The Sony XB500 had a ton more bass. I wanted something to replace my home surround when I couldn't watch my blu-rays on at night but the Denon wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I had my hopes too high.
I've just heard of the ZO2 and I'm deciding if I should get it. Can you describe the bass compared to other bassy headphones you had?

Also isolation on the D2000 isn't great. I could hear it faintly from the main floor with the headphone in my closed room.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #43 of 59
Also isolation on the D2000 isn't great. I could hear it faintly from the main floor with the headphone in my closed room.

That is absolutely not the same as them being on someone's head.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #44 of 59
It absolutely is not the same.

Also if you were thinking the D2000 would give more quantitive bass than the XB500 and quantity of bass is your sole reason for being impressed, you did wrong by getting the D2000 to begin with.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #45 of 59

Quote:
It absolutely is not the same.

Also if you were thinking the D2000 would give more quantitive bass than the XB500 and quantity of bass is your sole reason for being impressed, you did wrong by getting the D2000 to begin with.

well yes and no.
They are so called "bassy headphones" on head-fi, but they really aren't bassy.
They have bass...some bass - but not BASSY as u guys put it
Thus misleading, and the poor fella fell for it.

I've fallen for that trap too many times for IEM's now, that I just bite the bullet without even reading nowadays.
Hard to trust anyone, including myself lol

Quote:
After reading many many reviews on the bass of my newly arrived D2000, I was not impressed by it. The Sony XB500 had a ton more bass. I wanted something to replace my home surround when I couldn't watch my blu-rays on at night but the Denon wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I had my hopes too high.
I've just heard of the ZO2 and I'm deciding if I should get it. Can you describe the bass compared to other bassy headphones you had?

I know how u feel mate.
Look the XB500's have a lot of mid-bass: bass in your face.
I'm guessing you want that same impact right?

Well the D2K's...don't really, nor will ever IMO give you that same bass IMPACT.
That said, they will extend much better, and have a much better QUALITY not QUANTITY bass.
Indeed the ZO2, maxed out for example, will make your head vibrate. But not sure if that will really satisfy you, as I know where you are coming from (as I'm a basshead when it comes to IEMs)

What I suggest is actually getting different headphones, and if u have the chance to return the D2K's I would.
And possibly buy something like the XB700's or even the XB1000's
Possibly even VMODA, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone pro 900 might give u that bass you hear on the XB500's.

Long story short:
ZO2 will help - but I have a strong feeling even with the ZO2, you'll be left a little disappointed.
Don't get me wrong ZO2 on red, literally makes the D2K's SHAKE off my head lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back