Just got a Zune...and all is verrry good!
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Bull Moose

100+ Head-Fier
Well I guess this is another thread dedicated to praising the Zune for being one hell of a slick mp3 player. First off though, I need to confess that this is my 3rd attempt at getting a zune. First attempt resulted in some UPS employee stealing it before it reached me, second attempt was D.O.A. and not after paying full price at "worst buy" I feel that at least I now have a solid working model. It seems that a lot of people are still dealing with bugs, and I totally understand their frustration and anxiety, but as a owner of a perfectly functioning Zune I can say that this is a great device. It's on the bigger side, but at least I know I don't have to baby it like I would an iPod (but I got an invisible shield...just in case...). Anyways, no issues here with software, other than some messed up tagging of my songs which I'll have to fix. This isn't too big of a deal for me because my other players have included an iAudio x5 and a Meizu M6, both of which use a file tree system rather than automatically syncing with a program, though throught a recent update the meizu can do it if you want.... The screen displays my pics very nice, but I have to admit that while some of my album art looks fantastic on this thing, others look like complete and utter crap. I guess this shouldn't matter too much given that my backlight is set on 5 seconds, so at least it's only 5 seconds of agony at a time.
The sound of the Zune with my UM2s is very similar to the description that others have given....awesome! I have to admit, I was scared coming from the 10 band EQ on the meizu to a, dare I say it, preset equalizer! *insert corny screaming sound byte here* For only having presets, this thing sounds pretty damn good! My meizu may still have it beat, but only slightly, and maybe only because I'm still used to the dark and super warm SQ. If anything, the Zune has seemed to tame the bass on my UM2s, making them less boomy, but still a joy to listen to. If there is bass in a song, the UM2s are definitely still picking them up, it just seems like the bass is far less synthetic now and more organic or natural sounding. (so I guess this makes me a lover of organic bass?)
The operation of the zune is very simple and VERY smooth and defnitely my favorite interface out of all the portables I've seen. It seems maybe even overly simplified, but maybe it's just because I'm coming from my meizu which is pretty much a swiss army knife of an mp3 player (sigh...if only it came in 30gb size...)
Of course, as with any new player, the zune still has room for improvement (ie, CUSTOM EQ!!!, sleep timer, clock, better battery, larger capacities, slimmer body?) I can only imagine how good the Zune would sound with a custom EQ, surely it would give even the cowons and kenwoods a run for their money. On the topic of SQ between the cowon x5 and the Zune, I think it's hard to do a comparison considering only one has custom EQ. To me the Zune sounds cleaner, but the cowon can be customized to better benefit whatever phones your using.
Anyways, enough with the rambling, the Zune is a fine mp3 player, don't let others tell you other wise! Try one yourself, I doubt you'lll be disappointed.
-Moose

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 36
You should re title this thread "the Zune appreciation thread". It is the best Mp3 player I've ever owned for the money. I would like to see a clock/alarm clock. I don't understand why they haven't included these things in a firmware release. it would be easy to do. Anyway, the few complaints are so minor that I really dont even care. Im a zune whore.

dscn0895vk8.jpg

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 36
niff...niff...my Zune is broken. Repairing it myself.

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
niff...niff...my Zune is broken. Repairing it myself.

Why? What happened to it?

My Zune still going strong

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? What happened to it?

My Zune still going strong

I dont know exactly.

It was charging this morning on my desktop at home. While it charged I browse for some photo to put as background. Changed it. Letf it charging some more. Unplugged it then BANG!!. Instead keeping turned on it TURNED OFF!

I was What ??? Tried turning on but the thing keep resetting and making a strange click noise at the end of the progress bar screen with the Zune logo. Plugged it again to the USB port. Same pattern.

Changed desktops. Same pattern. Left it rebooting on that loop until a few minutes later Home screen is displayed. But when I try to access any media. Reboot. Reboot. and repeat same pattern as above. FM radio is working fine when I get to the Home screen

I think is the battery or worse yet. HDD. It fall to the floor inside its pouch the night before. But was working fine until this morning.

Now, I'll try a Format and Restore of the firmware. Later. If this doesn't work will begin scavenging ebay for Zune on PARTS/REPAIR

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I
I think is the battery or worse yet. HDD. It fall to the floor inside its pouch the night before. But was working fine until this morning.

OUCH! yah, that'll do it. Dropped an ipod once. (never worked again after that) lol

That sucks. Hard drives are probably the most expensive thing to replace. If you scavenge ebay for a couple weeks you might be able to find something around 60 bucks (30 gigs) Oh well.. this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to a 100gb HD!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OUCH! yah, that'll do it. Dropped an ipod once. (never worked again after that) lol

That sucks. Hard drives are probably the most expensive thing to replace. If you scavenge ebay for a couple weeks you might be able to find something around 60 bucks (30 gigs) Oh well.. this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to a 100gb HD!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't work the restoring and formatting. Will disassembly the thing and look inside. Next step before getting something else or a new one on ebay.

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

I dont think one drop could brake the Zune, because I droped mine like 6 times or more already and its still going strong.

If I were you I would let it sit for a while maybe a day or 2 and see if that helps.

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think one drop could brake the Zune, because I droped mine like 6 times or more already and its still going strong.

If I were you I would let it sit for a while maybe a day or 2 and see if that helps.

He could have dropped it while the drive was spinning up. The drive doesn't spin up often but if you happen to drop it while its doing this then that'll make it a lot easier to mess up the HD from a simple drop. Usually these newer Hard drives that are out right now can take quite a beating though.

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 36
I love my zune, considering that I've own(ed) HD595s and A900s, I think the Zune still sounds great on the go with the stock ear buds

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 36
Good player overall. I think with a line out, a more colorful screen, and a Custom EQ, I'd be quite happy with it overall.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

He could have dropped it while the drive was spinning up. The drive doesn't spin up often but if you happen to drop it while its doing this then that'll make it a lot easier to mess up the HD from a simple drop. Usually these newer Hard drives that are out right now can take quite a beating though.

my bad I forgot about that possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back