Just got a NEW Laptop - WOW !!!!!!!!!!
Aug 19, 2004 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Just took delivery of a Samsung X05 laptop (PM 1.6, 512RAM), and i could'nt believe how small it is, especially when put next to my Dell 8600 !
eek.gif

The PSU is s pretty as well, a little Sony Memory stick slot at the front, 1 USB 2.0 either side, fiewwire, this thing has everything...bar a good graphic card.

Shame it belong to my sister.....

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Shame it belong to my sister.....

YAY RIGHT!!

Get us all excited and then make the "fine print" right at the very end.

Lucky sister...did you gift it to her?

I have a laptop with a 17" screen and weighs as much as the USS Enterprise
tongue.gif

But it is a TOP-OF-THE-LINE at the moment with everything in it (P4 3.4, 2GB RAM, 120GB Raid-0 array of two disks, 256MB Radeon 9700 Pro, DVD Burner blah blah). It benches as much as a desktop...stunning!!

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Dells are gigantic. With portable anything, I need super duper small size. Convenience is everything.
biggrin.gif

Your new laptop or should I say your sister's
tongue.gif
is still a bit too large for me.
31.6 x 27.8 x 2.7 cm and 2.05 kg

My laptop
22.5 x 15.2 x 2.8 cm and 1.1kg

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I have a laptop with a 17" screen and weighs as much as the USS Enterprise
tongue.gif

But it is a TOP-OF-THE-LINE at the moment with everything in it (P4 3.4, 2GB RAM, 120GB Raid-0 array of two disks, 256MB Radeon 9700 Pro, DVD Burner blah blah). It benches as much as a desktop...stunning!!

I believe that is worthy of the BFG9000 moniker. I tip my hat to you, sir. Now then... where did you acquire this beast, and for how much?
very_evil_smiley.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Step,

This is a Sager NP-8790 that I ordered from www.pctorque.com. I worked with them on some reviews and checked out their outfit in Sarasota FL. They have a separate showroom where peopel can come in and play lan games on these machines.

I configged mine with dual hard drives and the full works cost me around $2800.00

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 17
you could build a desktop for half that, with the same specs....

I just dont see the appeal of a labtop besides its compactness, and if it weights a ton like you say, couldnt be all that convenient

Aug 21, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siang
you could build a desktop for half that, with the same specs....

I just dont see the appeal of a labtop besides its compactness, and if it weights a ton like you say, couldnt be all that convenient

The reason why I got it is because I take the laptop to university every morning, use it till 5:00pm, take it to work, play games or listen to music there, bring it back home - chat with family or watch a movie etc.

It is my mobile entertainment workhorse. I could not have lived with a desktop or a less "able" laptop. This is a desknote...not really a laptop.

Desktops are always cheaper. Try getting a decent laptop and it will cost you $2000.00 plus.

Try getting a laptop like mine from toshiba/dell/alienware
wink.gif

you will end up in the $3000 - $5000 range EASY
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The reason why I got it is because I take the laptop to university every morning, use it till 5:00pm, take it to work, play games or listen to music there, bring it back home - chat with family or watch a movie etc.

It is my mobile entertainment workhorse. I could not have lived with a desktop or a less "able" laptop. This is a desknote...not really a laptop.

Desktops are always cheaper. Try getting a decent laptop and it will cost you $2000.00 plus.

Try getting a laptop like mine from toshiba/dell/alienware
wink.gif

you will end up in the $3000 - $5000 range EASY
cool.gif

I see what you mean, but isn't your notebok like 9Ibs? won't it make more sense to get a 4Ib Laptop and then a Desktop?

Aug 21, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I see what you mean, but isn't your notebok like 9Ibs? won't it make more sense to get a 4Ib Laptop and then a Desktop?

alas the ultra-portable laptops and even the normal laptops dont have enough oomph! to run the programs that I use. Having two discrete systems is too much for a student with limited space. This laptop is my life...

Programs I use / Things I use the laptop for :-
------------------------------------------
CAD
Visual Studio
Coventorware
3D Studio Max
Verilog/Virtuoso/HSpice and Spice
High end games (FarCry, Doom3 are SLICK! on my system)
Movie editing, DVD ripping...blah blah!

I figured I needed a portable desktop..and got the Sager 8790.

It is still something I can carry around on my back. I travel around the world with this beast in my bag. 8 hour transit stops are a breeze when you have the latest game to play
smily_headphones1.gif
I cant carry my desktop on the aircraft or into the airport. This laptop features at EVERY LAN party I go to...fantastic!! Right up there with the Big Desktops for speed and FPS!!

Fun!

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 17
I have 3D studio and AutoCad running on my P3 450 with TNT2, i am sure a IBM T42 with a 3dmark of 10,000 can run them fine.

I can understand your reasons, it's why i have my Dell 8600 (1680x1050), Geforce 5650 128mb, 768mb DDR 333mhz..................etc but it's 7Ibs.

If i would do it again, i would get a IBM T42 which has a 3Dmark of 10,000 and weight about 4Ibs. And then have a Desktop at home, do the drawings on the move, and render on the P4.

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

If i would do it again, i would get a IBM T42 which has a 3Dmark of 10,000 and weight about 4Ibs. And then have a Desktop at home, do the drawings on the move, and render on the P4.

Are you sure about this? 3D Mark 2001 score = 10,000 ???

My laptop manages 14000 in 3D Mark 2001 and 4000 in 3D Mark 2003. I dont care about benchmarks - its the overall "feel" for speed that makes me happy. The dell 8600 1.5 that I had for a few days was impressive but BOG slow compared to my current system

I understand what you are saying - and I will have two systems as well in the future when I have my own home, a real job etc. As long as I am moving around from place to place and travelling and stuff - this was the best of both worlds as far as my research led me to believe and I am happy with my choice...very happy...

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=18219

Just for the info
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back