just got a C.E.C. DA53 DAC
Mar 25, 2006 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
well, I actually got it a week or two ago, but haven't had the chance to post about it until now.

the build quality is very nice, with the panels being 2mm for the sides and top, and the front panel's 5mm thick. I've seen much much thinner material used in more expensive products, and it's nice to see C.E.C. taking the extra step to make the dac have a solid feel.

the sound is quite warm and IMO has a nice low end. not something I would call neutral or for studio use (where a Benchmark DAC1 or Grace Design DAC would fit in), but then it's built for home use and this voicing seems appropriate for the general home audience, especially it's main market in Japan.

it's not too common on Head-Fi with I think only two others owning it, but I think it's a nice product for it's price. I'll post some pictures later and more comments perhaps...

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 9
Cool, keep us posted on your impressions with this as you spend more time with it. I've been interested in picking this up for use with my computer. The matching HD53R headamp looks interesting too.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 9
when was it once quoted around $500? perhaps if you live in Asia somewhere and have a local shop... but in general for the people on this forum the cheapest you'll find is from perhaps $600 to $700 using various internet middleman services or if you find a store that'll ship internationally.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by steam3642
Hey there i'm also keen to hear what you think of this unit , Mark at Sonicart audio in Melbourne Australia sells Cec units and the prices seem very reasonable for what you get . www.sonicartaudio.com . The belt drive transport looks like a great partner for your dac.

I don't know if I would consider $995 USD all that reasonable when I believe they typically sell for $600 - 700 USD.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 9
What things sell for when you go outside the dealer network often make prices you pay for legit, non-grey market goods seem unreasonable. I'd say this dac is easily worth the retail price they're asking.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I don't know if I would consider $995 USD all that reasonable when I believe they typically sell for $600 - 700 USD.

I have bought some of Sonic Arts cables and mains conditioner and have had no trouble with a bit of a discount , so i'm not sure what the price would be in the end for the dac but it could get closer to the prices you have seen ? .

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 9
when was it once quoted around $500? perhaps if you live in Asia somewhere and have a local shop... but in general for the people on this forum the cheapest you'll find is from perhaps $600 to $700 using various internet middleman services or if you find a store that'll ship internationally.

It shows up time to time for around 150–400 USD, depending on condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back