Just got a 70's Vintage Marantz Receiver
Nov 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cjc

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought a Marantz 4240 Stereo/Quad Receiver and I'm really enjoying the "dual" headphone jacks. Like most 70's vintage Marantz, it has that nice smooth sound and compliments my Grado 325i phones perfectly. Cool blue lights too...

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a reason the two headphone jacks are marked Front and Rear? Or are they exactly the same.

I think this is a quadraphonic unit. I'd think the jacks are for quadraphonic headphones - one plug for the front drivers and another for the rear drivers.

And that is f'n cool.

The OP should scout around for a pair of quadraphonic headphones - they do exist and you can find them here and there. Quadraphonic recordings and playback equipment might be a little tricky to find, however you could pair this with something like the Sony SCD-CE595, which you can get for under $100. I've seen them as low as $60 refurbished from Sony.

The CD595 plays SACD and has 5 channel output. You might be able to rig it up to play multichannel SACDs through quadraphonic headphones. How cool would that be?

Also, you should have a phono stage in that deck. I think you'd be well served with a nice vintage turntable to go along.

Edit: You need to buy these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Capehart...3A1|240%3A1318

(no affiliation with seller)

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 11
exactly. I have a pair of calrad phones with two quarter inch plugs for that very purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is a quadraphonic unit. I'd think the jacks are for quadraphonic headphones - one plug for the front drivers and another for the rear drivers.

And that is f'n cool.

The OP should scout around for a pair of quadraphonic headphones - they do exist and you can find them here and there. Quadraphonic recordings and playback equipment might be a little tricky to find, however you could pair this with something like the Sony SCD-CE595, which you can get for under $100. I've seen them as low as $60 refurbished from Sony.

The CD595 plays SACD and has 5 channel output. You might be able to rig it up to play multichannel SACDs through quadraphonic headphones. How cool would that be?

Also, you should have a phono stage in that deck. I think you'd be well served with a nice vintage turntable to go along.

Edit: You need to buy these: Vintage Capehart Quadraphonic Quad Headphones 4 Channel - eBay (item 220316384526 end time Nov-28-08 13:48:01 PST)

(no affiliation with seller)

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Is quadraphonic an old form of surround sound? BTW those headphones look really cool you should really try and get a pair of those to try out. Not many people have quadraphonic receivers and who knows it might even be pretty cool.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is quadraphonic an old form of surround sound? BTW those headphones look really cool you should really try and get a pair of those to try out. Not many people have quadraphonic receivers and who knows it might even be pretty cool.

Exactly - quadraphonic was an early attempt at surround sound. Here's the Wiki: Quadraphonic sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've seen a few quadraphonic records at my favorite record store (Record Surplus Los Angeles - Used DVD - Vinyl Records) and just noticed that Garage 'A Records stocks some quadraphonic stylii (Garage 'A Records: Products). Very interesting.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for some of the ideas. I do have a turntable with QUAD stylus(Shibata) along with about 6 QUAD lp's. Guess I'll keep an eye out for some QUAD headphones next. AWESOME!!

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 11
Quad source isn't hard these days. Any Dolby Digital or DTS (home theater) decoder should be able to set up with no center channel.

I used to have a Technics quad receiver. For most of the time I had it I used the second 2 channels for woofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back