Just for Fun: AKG701 vs Ultrasone HFI650
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

badgerbimmer

Head-Fier
Probably not a fair comparison but just for fun I A/B'd my AKG701s and Ultrasone HFI650s. I recently acquired the 650s from Moon Audio in the blow out sale, recabled with Blue Dragon. I bought them, because they are closed cans versus the open AKGs, for travel less disturbing to my "neighbors".

The comparison was run from my IPOD Classic V5 80g through a P51 Emmeline set to high gain. Unfortunately I went mini to mini as I misplaced my Black Dragon LOD to mini at the airport last week ($80 down the drain!). The AKGs have 400 or 500 hours on them the Ultrasones about 125 hours (perhaps more break in required). The AKG's cable is stock with a Grado 1/4 to mini adapter. The Ultrasone's Blue Dragon terminates in a mini.

For the sake of brevity a won't go through a track by track comparison unless someone requests it. The following tracks were used: Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room, Stop This World; Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven, Grandmother; The Beautiful Girls - Water, Periscopes; Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun, Black Rain; Harry Connick Jr - We are in Love, We are in Love; Academy of Ancient Music - A Festival of Handel. At this point I stopped and did not bother with Jazz or Blues tracks as regardless of the music type the trends of both cans were consistent.

To the conclusion the AKG 701s are far better regardless of music type. By comparison with the 701s it is as if a veil is being lifted and the music is clear and articulate, "present". Each instrument is separate and distinguished. Voices are clear and strong. The bass while not as prevalent as in the Ultrasones is better, cleaner. The AKG701s are more musical, true to life abd enjoyable. The AKGs are also more comfortable, although the Ultrasones don't really bother me over extended sessions.

Don't let this lead you to the conclusion that the HFI650s are not good. Say the 701s were an 9 the 650s would be a 6.5 . The 650s serve their purpose and are a good solid headphone it is just that the 701s are spectacular by comparison.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I think you based all of this on the comfort, of course AKG 701 is more comfortable. But I believe ultrasone has better and more clean sound than AKG, also ultrasone is easier to drive.

If you love DJ Phones, ultrasone owns.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by opteronlive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I believe ultrasone has better and more clean sound than AKG.

How do you know this is true?

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know this is true?

A. He is all knowing
B. He is an Ultrasone shill
C. He is a moron who lacks reading comprehension skills

I vote for C. Although I addressed the comfort topic it is obvious that I am incapable of distinguishing between the sound of two different headphones.......

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Nice review btw. Hopefully I'll have a chance to listen to 701 one day.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K702s have better depth in the sound stage and much bigger soundstage, the sound is much more smooth and precise with a higher resolution more like an HDTV...

Better than what?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Tbh, are there any studio's that actually use K701/702's? I mean I hear the term alot and I go to recording and production studio's now and then, but I have yet to stumble on a K701/702.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better than Superman...LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back