Just donated to Head-Fi and I hate how my name looks in the subscriber font!
Apr 12, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #46 of 54
That...that feathered dinosaur thing is really ugly.

Not so scary to me, though, because it's so small. And really skinny-looking.

Looks like I could snap its neck easily with my strong trunk. Or even just sit on it. Wait, it looks like I just did sit on it.

Oops, going a bit off-topic, should reverse course...

Supermannnn!

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like I could snap its neck easily with my strong trunk. Or even just sit on it. Wait, it looks like I just did sit on it.

Supermannnn!

lmao. Maybe we should have a thread where avatars can compete against each other, a poll perhaps lol. My money's on you Elephas
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Supermannnn!

It's not skinny, it's small-boned! Oh, wait, yeah it's kind of skinny. I think it is supposed to be a precursor to the vulture and/or pea****. So while it may not be able to take you down, baby elephant, it will surely eat you if you are already down. He is also irrefutably handsome.

Edit: can't say pea**** here?

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the archaeopteryx...

Wow... I'm not the only one who knew what that was?
blink.gif

I was totally obsessed with the prehistoric as a kid.

[EDIT] As a side note, and if I can remember correctly, the Archaeopteryx was a fairly recent extinction as far as "dinosaurs" go and I believe the bird was responsible for the myth of the Phoenix.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But but...the archaeopteryx was not a superpredator. If you want a real superpredator, I suggest you use this one instead:

images

That's a fine suggestion, and certainly more of a traditional superpredator.

In searching for a North American feathered dinosaur thing that looked like a cross between a T-rex and an ostrich (forget the name), I ended up finding the archaeopteryx. In some ways the arch seems to barely qualify as a predator at all. But to me he represents an extremely interesting moment in the history of evolution/natural selection. The shift of from prehistoric predator to a kind of beast that is still kicking today is pretty freaking super, even if a lot of the more interesting aspects of the predator were lost along the way.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the bird was responsible for the myth of the Phoenix.

That makes it even cooler! I am slowly feeling redeemed after the whole Superman thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back