Just can't decide on headphones/cards; suggestions appreciated.
Dec 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TheBlahMasta

New Head-Fier
Okay, so far I have come across the idea that I'm pretty much screwed since I do not live anywhere near an audio store (with the nearest Best Buy being 2.5 hours away), so I have to rely on reviews, forums, and suggestions to decide which headphone/set and sound card would be best for me. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I have no audio expertise, so bear with me through the barrage of questions you've probably heard a billion times before. My current spending limit is about $300-400.

What I will be using the headphones/set for: Gaming (Online FPS, MMORPG, and single player games). My music preference is pretty much just Rock.

Current sound card interests: ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Auzentech Forte 7.1 (I cannot find this card in stock, but I've heard great reviews), Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Current headphone(hp)/set interests: Senn PC360, KRK KNS8400, ATH-AD700, ATHM50S, and others that I can't find in my browser history for some reason.

I'm not worried about whether or not I get a "headset", because if it comes down to a pair of headphones being the best for me, I plan to purchase an Antlion ModMic.

What I want out of the combination of card/hp is to be able to be immersed within whatever world I decide to be in. I want to hear the footsteps of my enemies, the ambient sounds from the world, and to feel like I'm really "there" listening to the orchestra/bands. (That's probably the best I can describe from what I want.)

As a side question, are there any WIRELESS headsets that you would suggest? I've looked at the A50 and have heard it's great, but I have yet to hear anything concerning the sound quality, sound stage, etc. Another wireless headset I've looked into is the Turtle Beach PX5. [I read an article saying forget Turtle Beach, but I've used the X12 and found it to do what I want, except have a decent sound stage, but that may be because I have yet to be introduced into some actual headphones.]

I hope from all that I've given you will be able to provide me with your best suggestions and comments. I thank you all in advance.

Technical questions:
------
Let's say I get some hp's with 250 ohm impedance and the sound card provides a range of 16-600 ohms, would I still need to get an external amp, even if the card comes with a hp amp, to use the hp's to their potential?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back