Just Build it on a bread board?
May 25, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Ive considered building a cmoy or amperhead47 for some time - i just have minimal electronics experience and im not particularly handy w/ a soldering iron - is it viable to just build it on a bread board and put that into a nice mahogany box? im guessing the breadboard material would degrade sound somewhat

May 25, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I presume you are refering to the "no soldering" type of prototypeing board.

I would suggest just spending some time practing soldering. I am not certain the connections in the those proto boards would be reliable over the long term. I would be an interesting thing to find out, though.

May 25, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie
I presume you are refering to the "no soldering" type of prototypeing board.

I would suggest just spending some time practing soldering. I am not certain the connections in the those proto boards would be reliable over the long term. I would be an interesting thing to find out, though.

yeah, thats it - i guess ill be up to the challenge of discovering it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
yeah, thats it - i guess ill be up to the challenge of discovering it
smily_headphones1.gif

Go for it. I had no experience with electronics or soldering, and I'm on my third cmoy. I'm finding it a lot of fun.

May 26, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Soldering is easy if you have decent equipment and you know how to solder. The key thing people miss is that you always apply solder to the object to be soldered, not the solder itself. Some people get discouraged there because they can't get the object to heat up (like a large jack). Which is why you apply a little solder to the tip before touching the object, the liquid solder helps conduct heat a LOT. Just look up some soldering tutorials and do a little practice, it's really quite easy once you get the hang of it.

That said, breadboards are for design and quick testing. They're not even for prototype models, which use protoboards (suprised by the name?), also called perfboards, they're perforated (what a coincidence in naming we have here) with holes and usually have copper cladding to solder to. Perfboards are easy and fun to work with.

Perhaps you know everything I've already said and just need practice - but I thought I'd reiterate anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back