Just Build it on a bread board?
post-1395456
Post #1 of 6

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Ive considered building a cmoy or amperhead47 for some time - i just have minimal electronics experience and im not particularly handy w/ a soldering iron - is it viable to just build it on a bread board and put that into a nice mahogany box? im guessing the breadboard material would degrade sound somewhat

post-1395487
Post #3 of 6

Budgie

Never looks a gift amp in the jackhole.
Reaction score
I presume you are refering to the "no soldering" type of prototypeing board.

I would suggest just spending some time practing soldering. I am not certain the connections in the those proto boards would be reliable over the long term. I would be an interesting thing to find out, though.

post-1395704
Post #4 of 6

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie
I presume you are refering to the "no soldering" type of prototypeing board.

I would suggest just spending some time practing soldering. I am not certain the connections in the those proto boards would be reliable over the long term. I would be an interesting thing to find out, though.

yeah, thats it - i guess ill be up to the challenge of discovering it

post-1395713
Post #5 of 6

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
yeah, thats it - i guess ill be up to the challenge of discovering it

Go for it. I had no experience with electronics or soldering, and I'm on my third cmoy. I'm finding it a lot of fun.

post-1396430
Post #6 of 6

Emon

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Soldering is easy if you have decent equipment and you know how to solder. The key thing people miss is that you always apply solder to the object to be soldered, not the solder itself. Some people get discouraged there because they can't get the object to heat up (like a large jack). Which is why you apply a little solder to the tip before touching the object, the liquid solder helps conduct heat a LOT. Just look up some soldering tutorials and do a little practice, it's really quite easy once you get the hang of it.

That said, breadboards are for design and quick testing. They're not even for prototype models, which use protoboards (suprised by the name?), also called perfboards, they're perforated (what a coincidence in naming we have here) with holes and usually have copper cladding to solder to. Perfboards are easy and fun to work with.

Perhaps you know everything I've already said and just need practice - but I thought I'd reiterate anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)