Just bought the hd600!
Nov 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
guys , i got the hd600 after audition. When i get back home , plug it into gs1 and realise that this hd600 sound better to me than the hd650 i had one year back and the past hd600 i heard 4 years back. I wonder if there's any change being made to the 'new' hd600. Now i am thinking of selling k501.... as i am beginning to realise that my setup may not suit k501 well.

RS1 and K701 still sound better to me as compared to hd600 but i don't think i can enjoy k501 that much when the senn is around. K501 only excel in certain music ( female vocal)

Now i wanna to get cardas cable.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Somewhere in these threads someone mentioned they changed the drivers this might explain the difference in sound but I am biased I
like the sound signature of the Senn's.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i wanna to get cardas cable.

There is one in the FS Forum
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 15
Congratulations then!

I agree HD 650 are sometimes lousy comparing to HD 600. I like the intimacy of their sound and how it 'touches' the listener.

For me K 501 have too large soundstage so as to keep all the sounds together and create a convincing sound image. It is the superfluous air where the music gets lost. Not to mention that 'bass'.

Ash

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 15
Bought my HD600 long time ago, and still love them. Probably stays with me forever
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm enjoying my HD600 very much, but I'm not going to sell my K501. It's too good, especially with a tube amp.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 15
Hentai,
Can you do a comparison between the k701 and hd600? I am getting the k701 as one of my next cans and would like to know more about how they compare with each other since I have the hd600s

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hentai,
Can you do a comparison between the k701 and hd600? I am getting the k701 as one of my next cans and would like to know more about how they compare with each other since I have the hd600s

Let me do some a/b test on them then let you know my feelings. K701 is still my favourite and manage to sound engaging without ear fatigue unlike the k501 in some kinds of music.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 15
I also have an eye on some HD600 so the opinions in this thread are interesting. Does anyone know how they would compare to say, the D2000? From what I'm reading the HD600 are overall better than the K501 which I had considered at one point in time.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 15
Okay I have been listening to the hd600 with cardas for the past 2 days. I must say it’s a quite an enjoyable headphone that sounds warm, smooth and with decent clarity though not as clear as my other cans. They are keepers but won't be my favorite. Sometimes the hd600 can have abit sub woofish kind of bass which I don't quite like.

For vocal wise, the male vocal sounds pretty rich and female ones sound pretty sweet but not as good/intimate as akgs', especially on Japanese female singers whose vocal often hit the high notes ( screaming at the top of their lungs at such high notes that will shatter any mirror around).

I must highlight that piano sound pretty good with the hd600. I don’t know about other instruments but I often notice the piano part while listening to the senn.

For the fun of it , I tried the headphone on Tool, Michael Jackson, Prince and Metallica. Surprisingly, Tool sounds very good on the hd600 but for the guitar part, it sound abit too smooth, rs1 is clearly better on the guitar part.

Hd600’s warmish sound signature is also very enjoyable for fast paced (maybe not so well recorded) pop music where K501 can be tiring to listen to.

For those hd600 users who want to try the akg k701, you have to expect some pros and cons

Pros- Better and clearer vocals for female
Cons- Male vocal sound less meaty

Pros- Leaner but more accurate bass
Cons- because of the leaner bass, it may not sound as good to you on fast paced pop music (I still enjoy the k701 more)

Pros- More engaging, sounds better at lower level
Cons-more engaging means you may not be able to listen to them as long as hd600 without getting tired. (Depending on your recording)

Pros-Having both cans can cover all range of music
Cons- They are quite different so adapting to one may be difficult after spending some time with another.

List of music I prefer on each headphone:

K701: Jpop in general, Metallica, Prince, any female vocal oriented album
Hd600: MJ, Tool, dance track,

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the comparison. I got the K701 and would like to try some warm sounding phones. Your review helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back