Just bought the HD555, have some questions
Nov 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

N4V

New Head-Fier
Hi all, after debating between the HD280s and HD212s for a while, I ended up going with the HD555s, sounds weird, but I realized my Plantronic headset used a similar style of clamping onto the ears and really hurting them after a while, so I made comfort a priority.

I'm satisfied with the clarity, but a little underwhelmed by the bass, reading through the forums here and on other websites it seems like I just need to let them burn in for a while. The burninwave.com website recommended no more than 5 hours at a time for new headphones, so what I did was run pink_noise.wav for 5 hours, then ran an empty/silent file for 1 hour, and just had that whole cycle on repeat. I turned up the volume until the pink_noise file was playing at about a volume I would consider normal/listening volume, in my Windows Control Panel it was at 14/100, (I'm surprised at how loud these are even on lower settings compared to my old headphones). So this is my first question, is it safe to just let them run overnight?

Another question, what is a safe level to adjust Bass Balance and Treble Balance under the Tone tab in Windows Sound Options? I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. By default they were both well below 0.0db, out of a total range of like -12db to 12db. I don't remember the exact level, and there is no default button to reset them, I imagine reinstalling the drivers would set them back to default. I just don't want to cause any damage to the headphones, so what is a recommended level for each setting, or can I tweak it as I please for my music? Sometimes I prefer harder hitting bass with techno/trance, and sometimes I'd prefer it be normal for rock/other music/gaming/movies. Basically what level should I keep it below to avoid damage?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome and much appreciated, thanks.

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 15
I suggest keeping the volume at a moderate setting for the first day of burn-in. Then turn it up to what sounds loud to you for the next 3 days. Set the bass and treble settings to whatever sounds best to you. You bought the wrong headphones if you want heavy bass for trance/techno; the bass for this is not gonna happen. I enjoyed my HD555 mostly with rock.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, living in a pretty small town there are really no big stores I could go to in order to test headphones out.

The thing is, I'm not really a huge basshead, as I don't listen to techno or trance all the time, but just need good balanced headphones for gaming/various types of music.

I've still got some time to return them if I don't end up liking them, which would you recommend?

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 15
I had the HD555 and I had the Audigy 2 ZS. Still have the audigy will get back my Asus XOnar Dx sunday.

Um if you raise the bass tone to high the speaker will make a bursting sound like its being damaged and it really hurts your ears. I had mine on like +10db and bass boost enabled and EQ bass set to +12 DB.

Windows media player bass EQ set to +12db to

So yeah I had like ultra high bass enabled. But the speakers distorted and almost damaged my ear drums. When I had the Xonar DX i could put the bass s high the actuall headphones plastic used to rattle
smily_headphones1.gif

I cant explain but it never distorted is just that the bass was weak at low volumes as it had no bass and treble tone sliders.

Honestly I just sold those HD555 on a local online bargin forum basically got back almost same price I paid for it.

I went and bought the Audio technica ATH-M50 and awaiting for it to arrive.

I could care less for a headphone for movies I want music capable with monster bass. And the HD555 aint for music.

But they are indeed fine for gaming and movies. Just not for music from what I could tell.

Well atleast not good for trance and rock and rap anyways. Probably great for classical music.

Ow BTW the HD555 had the best vocal I ever heard in my life. I played the Shakira oral fixation tour on Blu Ray and it was like I was there in real. I could not believe how great it sounded I never heard sound like that in my life.

check this song its mostly vocals and the HD555 should really shine there even though its a youtube link which is low quality
smily_headphones1.gif

YouTube - Pienso en tÃ* - Shakira "Love In The Time of Cholera "

peace!!

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by N4V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, living in a pretty small town there are really no big stores I could go to in order to test headphones out.

Hopefully Head-Fiers can be of more helpful.

Quote:

The thing is, I'm not really a huge basshead, as I don't listen to techno or trance all the time, but just need good balanced headphones for gaming/various types of music.

What is your budget for new headphones if you don't end up keeping the HD555?

Quote:

I've still got some time to return them if I don't end up liking them, which would you recommend?

I suggest first burning in the HD555 so you can get a better idea of what you like and don't like about it.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 15
That's a good move. the 555 is in the higher league than those 2.

HD212pro sounds like crap - muddy mids and fart-like bass. HD202 is a tad better.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 15
My budget is around $100 honestly, can't see myself paying more for headphones, got other expenses too.

But yeah, definitely will keep burning them in, think I'm safe with 5 hours of pink noise, followed by 1 hour of silence running on repeat? I really don't want to damage them.

I had ordered and canceled the 212s right before ordering the 555s, I want bass, but I'd rather have comfort + less bass rather than bass + aching ears from being squashed for hours. I LOVE how comfortable the 555s are, been wearing them all day, and they sound great, bass is my only issue.

With no quality retailers here to test out headphones, I'd have to lose out on my shipping cost, and wait for a RMA, and all of the other hassles of shipping it back, besides it looks like I have until January 31st 2009 if I do end up returning them.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 15
The HD555 is anything but a basshead phone, if you are expecting lots of bass from them you have gotten for yourself the wrong phone. It is not exactly bass anemic, but its sound signature is more suitable for the relaxing jazz/classical songs where you'll want as much smoothness as possible. And not for electronic/rock music.

If you are looking for a comfortable phone with good bass you should have gotten the Denon D1001 instead.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

But yeah, definitely will keep burning them in, think I'm safe with 5 hours of pink noise, followed by 1 hour of silence running on repeat? I really don't want to damage them.

It may actually be safer to also use music instead of all pink noise, and may be better since music moves the drivers farther on bass heavy music. So if using pink noise, I'd use it for no more than 5 hours, silence for 5 minutes, music for the rest of the day, and then repeat this for the next day. Music vs pink/white noise gets debated, but I only use music. In the interest of not damaging your HD555, you have to wonder why there's a warning to limit pink noise to 5 hours max.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 15
I use a set of 555s as well, and as others have said its not for more bass-y music. Its really nice for singer/songwriter style music -- the high end is very clear for the price range.

I go back and forth from this style of light pop/alt stuff to techno/darkwave so I eventually added a Beyerdynamic DX770 for the darker stuff.

Both powered by a USB fed Corda Cantate amp. (they work okay off the Audigy Platinum expansion box amp as well)

---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back