Just bought my first HI-FI cd player
Jun 6, 2005 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dmbfan0707

New Head-Fier
Tomorrow i will receive my Eastern Electric Minimax cd player. I can't wait to find out how much of a difference it makes over my sony scd-595 with gilmore lite. So far I haven't really like the sound of this combo with my sr 325i and hd-600. But from the reviews it looks like I'll be very happy with the minimax. Any info on tubes to get or anything at all is always great.

Thanks
- Chris

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Good pick up!

My first real source was a tubed cdp as well, the jolida 100a, but supposedly the minimax is supposed to be a little more refined than the jolida, you've got a nice source!

6dj8's are pretty popular, a good place for tubes though is chimera labs, just google it and dennis boyle is great to talk to and he's really helpful

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Congrats on the MiniMax!!! It's a great piece of kit. I still maintain it has to be one of, if not the best value under $1000 for headphone enthusiasts.

I will actually be very interested to hear your thoughts on how the Gilmore lite compares to the MiniMax's internal amp. I happen to have a Headamp GS-1 here for an audition and have to say I really like what it does and if I had the money would be very tempted to pick one up but alas finances aren't so hot right now. I can take solace in the fact that the MiniMax actually held up well in comparison though, the GS-1 does better at just about everything but the MiniMax wasn't embarrased by any means.

As for tubes there are quite a few in the 6DJ8 family and the price can vary widely. I've settled on the tubes I'm going to use for awhile, RSD PCC88's (I managed to get three pair, so hopefully those will last awhile) but they're an uncommon tube that is actually a rebrand of unknown origin so I doubt you would find any. But seeing as I'm not using the other tubes I have I was thinking about selling a couple of pairs that I've used lightly, PM me if you're interested those and if you have any other tube questions for that matter.

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 8
im saving for one !
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Definitely eager to see what you think about the Lite and Minimax, as I was thinking fo that combo for a while.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Well, I haven't had much time to really listen to the Minimax for a good amount of time since I have been so busy, but I can say that it sounds much better than my Sony. I'll be anxious to see if it becomes even better after more use. I won't be able to give a detailed impression like some on this board, but I'll try to give something. I definatelly like the grados directly out of the Minimax better than with the gilmore. It takes the brightness away that was bothering me. I like then 600's out of the Gilmore better as it seems to just add more detail in the higher end and a great complete sound. I hope work slows down a little more so I can get a chance to spend some time and pull out all my cd's for a new listen.

p.s. Elnero I just had a few questions: Does this player get better after a "burn in"? Also, is it safe to play both my headphones of of the player at once(the grados directly out of the minimax at the same time as my senn's through my gilmore lite? And after a week or so of listening for a while to the minimax i might pm you to see about those tubes you are talking about.

- Chris

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Chris,

Yes, I felt the player opened up quite a bit after a couple of hundred hours, both the player and the tubes need some time to settle in before you'll really get to hear what it can do. Tuberolling can also bring out more and will allow you to fine tune the sound to your personal preference.

Also, from the time I'm spending with the GS-1 I'm coming to realize that upgrading the headamp can reveal more of what the player is capable of. Of course I still maintain the internal headamp stands up well to other amps in the $500 region. In my opinion you would probably have to spend close to what you paid for the MiniMax to see a significant improvement other than a change in flavor, but my point is, if/when you want to upgrade that path is open to you and it will allow to get even more out of the player.

There shouldn't be any problem driving two phones, one from the MiniMax and one from the Lite. They aren't being driven by the same amp so there is no extra stress on either.

PM me anytime, if the tubes are sold by then we can still talk about them if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back