Just bought Audioengine A2+ and have a question
Dec 2, 2013 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

blkmagic

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I just bought the Audioengine A2+. It's my first pair of USB connected speakers so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. The volume control on my Win 8 PC doesn't seem to be able to control the volume of the A2+ much. The volume does go up and down, but only a very narrow margin. With the volume nob on the back of the A2+, it's rather inconvenient to have to reach back there when I want to crank it up. Is this normal behavior for USB connected speakers? Is there any way to control the volume level more effectively through my PC?

I think they sound very well neutral with fast (if not plentiful) bass response. The mid's are clear and upfront while high's are smooth and void of any harshness. Live vocals have a sense of airiness which cheaper speakers of this size would lack. Based on the previous reviews of A2, it was mentioned that certain frequencies were boosted/cut. But to my untrained ears, I didn't notice any gaps in frequency response. Of course, I don't have much experience when it comes to audio equipment so I'm not able to do a more in-depth review of them. If I had more desk (and floor) space I probably could have gotten a even better setup for the price. But to sum it up, I think they sound great for their size. 

Value however, would be in the eye of beholder. I guess it would partly depend on how much you value $250. I think I read somewhere that these speakers use custom components. But even so, given that the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (which I previously owned a few years back) is only $140 at Best Buy. I'd consider the A2+ a great value at $200. As is, I'd say it's worth buying if you have to contend with the lack of space and want good quality sound. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 2
Nevermind, it turned out to be a stupid question... I typically use rainmeter to control volume. For some reason it wasn't changing the did volume of the A2+ correctly. After using the system volume control to successfully control volume levels, a restarting rainmeter solved the issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back