Just bought Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, and FiiO E6 amp
Apr 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hungledink

New Head-Fier
Hello, new to the forum and was looking for some advice.

I have bought the two items and was wondering if they are OK to use together (not yet delivered)? Just noticed its not the E6 amp but the E5 amp.

I play my music from my PC and it doesnt tend to be very loud. If I use the amp connected to my PC, and then run the headphones from there, am I likely to damage the headphones? My concern is that the amp will make the sound to loud for the headphones. Is this likely?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hello, new to the forum and was looking for some advice.
I have bought the two items and was wondering if they are OK to use together (not yet delivered)? Just noticed its not the E6 amp but the E5 amp.
I play my music from my PC and it doesn't tend to be very loud. If I use the amp connected to my PC, and then run the headphones from there, am I likely to damage the headphones? My concern is that the amp will make the sound to loud for the headphones. Is this likely?

The E5 and ATH-AD700 will work together, very very little chance the E5 could ever damage the ATH-AD700, not something other user would even think about.

If all your using the headphones and amp. for is your PC.
Return the E5 and get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response. 

I have a net top PC which doesnt allow for a change in soundcard, thats why I purchased the external amp.

The reason I was concerned about the sound levels damaging the headphones is due to the fact that I previously had some denon AH-D510 which were fine until I added the amp. After that they made a buzzing noise so I assumed the higher volume had damaged the drivers.

Is this unlikely with these Audio Techinica ones?

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the response. 
I have a net top PC which doesn't allow for a change in sound card, that's why I purchased the external amp.
The reason I was concerned about the sound levels damaging the headphones is due to the fact that I previously had some Denon AH-D510 which were fine until I added the amp. After that they made a buzzing noise so I assumed the higher volume had damaged the drivers.
Is this unlikely with these Audio Technica ones?

Most headphone amplifiers are way more powerful then the E5,
I do not see reported problems of amplifiers damaging headphones.
I'm guessing you had a isolated problem.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
The E5 and ATH-AD700 will work together, very very little chance the E5 could ever damage the ATH-AD700, not something other user would even think about.

If all your using the headphones and amp. for is your PC.
Return the E5 and get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card.

Totally agree with this. All onboard soundcards I've used make headphones plenty loud enough. I hardly even get past the 50% mark sometimes. Get a xonar DG and in high gain you wont even be able to get past 10% main volume because it gets too loud after that. The E5 is a waste of money unless you plan on using it with your ipod. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the info, I guess I must have been unlucky with the Denons then. Having said that, I subsequently tried several replacement sets of the same Denons, and each one was faulty!!

Just one final question, should most headphones be able to cope with both the PC at full volume, and then the amp on aswell?

If so, I may have been confused by the headphone sensitivity figures in the descriptions of the headphones. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I guess I must have been unlucky with the Denons then. Having said that, I subsequently tried several replacement sets of the same Denons, and each one was faulty!!

Just one final question, should most headphones be able to cope with both the PC at full volume, and then the amp on aswell?

If so, I may have been confused by the headphone sensitivity figures in the descriptions of the headphones. 

You wont be able to have them both vonnected at full volume,  it'll blow your ears off. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back