Just bought an ath a700 and Pengiunamp
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Killaspike

New Head-Fier
I think im going without a DAC, ive got an x-fi extremegamer so that should be good enough.

What can I expect from these new headphones over my now BOSE Triports AE?

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by odymmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh you will notice. Triports cannot keep up with those A700s.

Should I just get a dac or is an amp and my xfi extremegamer fine?

I game 50% of the time and the other half listen to music, is a dac good for gaming?

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Just answer the poor mans question!

No you do not need a dac. You will be fine unless you do not like the sound. Then you want a dac and then you are in trouble lol.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the replies guys.

Im going to stick with my x-fi for the time being until I get more money.

Another question I have is, will my penguinamp be good enough? I know its a portable amp but I had to get a cheap amp. With it being portable can I use it as a desktop only amp?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 17
It is fine. Your headphones were built to work out of anything. Any amp will be more than enough to drive them.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killaspike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question I have is, will my penguinamp be good enough? I know its a portable amp but I had to get a cheap amp. With it being portable can I use it as a desktop only amp?

FWIR, that's a good little amp. I would sooner upgrade the A700 than to spend more $ on a better amp.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 17
Just for your edification, your x-fi soundcard has a built in DAC on it. So in your chain your using the dac on the x-fi to produce the analog signal then amping it with the penguin to your headphones. Of course you can use it as a desktop only amp. You should expect big gains over your bose when using good quality content.
Make sure you use the line out of the x-fi and not the headphone out.

Dave

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for your edification, your x-fi soundcard has a built in DAC on it. So in your chain your using the dac on the x-fi to produce the analog signal then amping it with the penguin to your headphones. Of course you can use it as a desktop only amp. You should expect big gains over your bose when using good quality content.
Make sure you use the line out of the x-fi and not the headphone out.

Dave

I don't think it has a line-out?

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...102-006-02.jpg

Thats the back of my soundcard, which slot would I plug the amp into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back