Just back from Munich show.: The Heddphone, new Air motion transformer headphone
May 13, 2019 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tekunda

100+ Head-Fier
I am just back from the Munich high end show.
I went there mostly for TOTL headphones and high end headphone amplification.
I will give you a synopsis of my impressions in a few days, today though I want to share my findings of a new headphone I discovered there, which is driven by a so-called ATM or Air Motion Transformer.

http://www.hedd.audio/en/announcing-heddphone-a-new-chapter-in-headphone-history/

According to the developer the price will be well below €2000.

The sound quality of this hand-built prototype was already so impressive that, IMHO, this headphone could compete easily with other, well known TOTL headphones.
I was so impressed by it, that a planned upgrade (initially I had planned to upgrade to the new Abyss 1266 TC) will have to wait until autumn, when the official release of the headphone will be.
Air Motion Transformers are ultra fast, high resolution drivers and you could clearly hear this. Some people might say that ATM drivers are lacking in base quality, I did not notice any weakness in base sound quality.
Like I said, any planned headphone purchase will be delayed until the release of this hp, because an audiophile dream for well below €2000 could be in the making with this headphone.

May 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Hehehe, looks like manufacturers are turning towards ribbon and AMT tech now.. :D

May 13, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Hehehe, looks like manufacturers are turning towards ribbon and AMT tech now.. :D
I was pretty impressed by the sound of it, although it was a hand-built prototype, so you naturally can't say too much, how the commercially available units will eventually sound.
But the estimated sale price of "well below" €2000 seems very attractive, with other TOTL manufacturers prices going through the roof, don't you think so?

May 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Hell yeah! We need more giant killers to bring those insane headphone prices down. looking at you fang. :rolling_eyes:

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 12
They say in about three months time.
So it's maybe better to lay off any planned headphone purchase until then.
I was planning to buy a Final Audio D8000 but now I certainly will wait. Maybe I will get a similar sound quality for almost half the price?

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, it's been almost six months, and we are in Q4, but nothing yet.

Knowing AMT drivers pretty well, it should be easy to drive mids up. It won't need that resistor box that the RAAL needs either. Transients should be great. Bass impact/dynamics will be a question. For treble in speakers still like ribbons more, but AMT should prove to be cheaper and quite good.

In 5 years when AMT, ribbon, and hybrid drivers are more common than today, e-stats might well have shrinking market share.

May 30, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I got mine a week ago and replaced LCD-X. They’re amazing in every respect but heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back