JUST AUDIO - uHA-120 headphone amp
Sep 13, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #136 of 210
Oh woops, got my UHA's mixed up lol.  
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #137 of 210
Yeah!! It's funny how similarly they're named.....  
biggrin.gif

The Leckerton sounds like a solid little amp, and a front runner in today's portable selection though. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #138 of 210
I still think your average portable amp customer is looking for an equaliser rather than an amplifier per se, and it looks like Audinst got the memo:

http://www.headfonia.com/korean-pocket-rocket-the-audinst-amp-hp/

Plug your Turbines into that lot and prepare for a little ooga-chugga, people  :wink:

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #139 of 210

Quote:
Yeah!! It's funny how similarly they're named.....  
biggrin.gif

The Leckerton sounds like a solid little amp, and a front runner in today's portable selection though. 

Speaking of Leckerton, i just finished reading this entire thread and am surprised there are no comparisons with the UHA-6 which has similar specs/size/price...i guess no one has (yet) had the opportunity to test them side by side. Then again both products are relatively new and not very well known or as popular as other brands...maybe that will change in the future.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #140 of 210
Hmm, its like deja vu all over again ...

@vlach, while the uHA-6 hasn't had many keystrokes here, the uHA-4 was a raging FOTM when it was released. I wrote an extensive comparative review between the 4 and the uHA-120 : if I had the money, I'd love to be able to compare the 6s with Justin's Class A portable, the AHA-160. Like many here, I would have been much happier if both companies had decided to use code names instead of model designations, but I guess 'LearJet' and 'Ballbreaker' might not have suited the designers' respective personalities.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s/

http://www.justaudio.co.uk/aha-120.html

Ultimately, that's not an 'apples and apples' comparison - the iBasso D12 at 285 USD has SPDIF input to a very well regarded DAC section, but I suspect the Leckerton has the edge in terms of output power. When you find yourself considering D12 into P4 for portable use, it all gets a bit silly and I forced myself to stop buying portable kit. For now  :wink:

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #141 of 210

Quote:
Hmm, its like deja vu all over again ...

@vlach, while the uHA-6 hasn't had many keystrokes here, the uHA-4 was a raging FOTM when it was released. I wrote an extensive comparative review between the 4 and the uHA-120 : if I had the money, I'd love to be able to compare the 6s with Justin's Class A portable, the AHA-160. Like many here, I would have been much happier if both companies had decided to use code names instead of model designations, but I guess 'LearJet' and 'Ballbreaker' might not have suited the designers' respective personalities.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s/

http://www.justaudio.co.uk/aha-120.html

Ultimately, that's not an 'apples and apples' comparison - the iBasso D12 at 285 USD has SPDIF input to a very well regarded DAC section, but I suspect the Leckerton has the edge in terms of output power. When you find yourself considering D12 into P4 for portable use, it all gets a bit silly and I forced myself to stop buying portable kit. For now  :wink:

Yes, i read your review comparing the 4 with the uHA-120 (great review btw), however that doesn't tell me how the 6 stacks up against the uHA-120 specifically...anyway based on the limited reviews i read about the UHA-6, the overall consencus seemed very positive.

In addition, Nick's design philosophy and dedication to his craft made me feel confident enough to place an order for the UHA-6. The other motivating factor is that if the 4 is that good, then i can't go wrong with the 6...plus i don't mind the exclusivity of a lesser known product :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #142 of 210
I'm sure it's a great choice... But, I think you should pick up the big baddie AHA-120 as well to do a comparison with the two amps. You know how HF works...  
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #143 of 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i don't mind the exclusivity of a lesser known product :)

Excellent - are you familiar with the name 'Singlepower' ? No ? Then all this will be new to you ! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #144 of 210

Quote:
Excellent - are you familiar with the name 'Singlepower' ? No ? Then all this will be new to you ! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not familiar, i checked it out and it seems like a great product, however i'm reading that they are no longer in business and many people lost their money by ordering and never receiving their product?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #145 of 210

Quote:
I'm not familiar, i checked it out and it seems like a great product, however i'm reading that they are no longer in business and many people lost their money by ordering and never receiving their product?

Sad but true - last I heard, the man behind the name behind the amps did a 'runner' and no-one has seen him since. Skylab heaped high praise on an earlier Singlepower amp, and opinion seems to be divided on the amps, but sadly the human being behind the designs just wasnt able to keep it together financially, for whatever reason. Its an interesting hobby, but certainly not the only domain where entrepreneurs come unstuck.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #146 of 210
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, although I've been reading it since a lot of time ago.

My current portable rig consists of IPOD Classic 80Gb > HRT Istreamer (Battery powered) > Meier Corda Headsix. The headphones are Etymotic ER4P/S, Phonak Audeo PFE (grey filters) and

AKG K500. I own a pair of AKG K701, but to drive them properly, I have a Heed Canamp (stationary use).

So far, I am happy with the sound of the portable rig, but in search of improving the sound as a whole, my next goal is to get a new portable amp.

I am wondering about the Justaudio uha-120 to drive the headphones (in-ear & AKG K500), but given the output voltage value of the istreamer (2,25 Volts RMS), I don't know if the Justaudio

would be the correct choice (clipping & imbalance volume problems).

I am currently using the headsix (hi gain mode) with the Etys & Phonaks at a volume around 9, hence my doubts regarding this matter.

I have read about the 2Stepdance, but apart from the low battery duration, it seems to have issues regarding its digital volume (clicks & pops).

I live in Spain, so I would really prefer to buy the amp in Europe (to avoid surprises with customs). The maximum price would be around 300 Euro, and both the 2Stepdance & Justaudio uha-120

are inside this range of price. However I'm totally opened to another brands and models.

I'm not a basshead, I rather prefer an accurate sound in all the spectrum.

I strongly prefer quality more than quantity, and I would really appreciate your advices and comments before making a decision.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #147 of 210

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, although I've been reading it since a lot of time ago.

My current portable rig consists of IPOD Classic 80Gb > HRT Istreamer (Battery powered) > Meier Corda Headsix. The headphones are Etymotic ER4P/S, Phonak Audeo PFE (grey filters) and

AKG K500. I own a pair of AKG K701, but to drive them properly, I have a Heed Canamp (stationary use).

So far, I am happy with the sound of the portable rig, but in search of improving the sound as a whole, my next goal is to get a new portable amp.

I am wondering about the Justaudio uha-120 to drive the headphones (in-ear & AKG K500), but given the output voltage value of the istreamer (2,25 Volts RMS), I don't know if the Justaudio

would be the correct choice (clipping & imbalance volume problems).

I am currently using the headsix (hi gain mode) with the Etys & Phonaks at a volume around 9, hence my doubts regarding this matter.

I have read about the 2Stepdance, but apart from the low battery duration, it seems to have issues regarding its digital volume (clicks & pops).

I live in Spain, so I would really prefer to buy the amp in Europe (to avoid surprises with customs). The maximum price would be around 300 Euro, and both the 2Stepdance & Justaudio uha-120

are inside this range of price. However I'm totally opened to another brands and models.

I'm not a basshead, I rather prefer an accurate sound in all the spectrum.

I strongly prefer quality more than quantity, and I would really appreciate your advices and comments before making a decision.

I am VERY happy with my Leckerton UHA-6 (with OPA209), which i feel is reasonably priced At $259US + shipping. Outstanding fit & finish, very clean & clear sounding with excellent dynamics. I really can't expect more for the price point.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #148 of 210

Quote:
I am wondering about the Justaudio uha-120 to drive the headphones (in-ear & AKG K500), but given the output voltage value of the istreamer (2,25 Volts RMS), I don't know if the Justaudio would be the correct choice (clipping & imbalance volume problems).

I doubt that you will have problems with clipping, and Justin revised the original design to deal with the channel imbalance at low volumes-  I believe there are several happy IEM users here to attest to that. Just be aware that you will be getting a powerful but relatively neutral-sounding amp : it will only be as good as your source and your phones. Most of what I have read about both versions of the Stepdance point to similarly neutral voicing, but I havent heard either of Jan's amps.

I dont agree with everything Mike at Headfonia has to say on the gear I own, but he has the advantage of having access to many amps:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/

I'm sure that many of the Stepdance owners here would take umbrage with his summation of the Stepdance, but its bloody tough when few of us have access to every amp ever made. I also question the amount of effort Mike put into matching each amp with various sources/headphones - understandable when you consider the scope of that review, but hardly representative.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #149 of 210
@cn11
those look to be some serious cables; which are they, who makes them, if I may ask ?  thank you.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #150 of 210

Quote:
@cn11
those look to be some serious cables; which are they, who makes them, if I may ask ?  thank you.

cn11 or vlach ? If you are referring to the cable between the uHA-6 and iPod Touch on this page, thats an iBasso CB06:

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=54

I have one, but I cant say that the sonics are any better with my sources/amps than a cheaper cable like this:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=202363

Users who are viewing this thread

Back