JUST AUDIO - uHA-120 headphone amp
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #181 of 210
Mine came today and it's bloody awesome... So much more refined than the E11 and at the same time so much more natural sounding. Love it so far!

And it certainly packs a punch! Bass goes deeper than it does with the E11 or the amp in my Yulong D100, but it always remains very controlled. Drums have an awesome kick from this little thing!

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #183 of 210

Quote:
Glad you're happy!
I've compared it with the AHA-120 the last few days and they have completely different sound signatures

You can't just post stuff like that without elaborating it! Tell me everything! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #184 of 210
I cannot believe that this little thing packs such a punch, yet manages to sound so clean. It's a great addition to my Cowon player while on the go or at work and even better at home when hooked up to my fullsize DAC. (Yulong D100). 

It really adds some impressive depth to the bass, but does so without blurring the rest of the spectrum. Voices sound so natural and no matter what I throw at it, it just sounds so effortless. Rammstein with the uHA-120 and Ultrasone Pro 900 is nothing short of amazing. Punchy and fast, yet very detailed and natural sounding. It has a very slight warmth to it's sound, but doesn't come off as colored anyway like most tube amps I've heard. I am madly impressed by this little amp!

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #185 of 210

Quote:
I cannot believe that this little thing packs such a punch, yet manages to sound so clean. It's a great addition to my Cowon player while on the go or at work and even better at home when hooked up to my fullsize DAC. (Yulong D100). 

It really adds some impressive depth to the bass, but does so without blurring the rest of the spectrum. Voices sound so natural and no matter what I throw at it, it just sounds so effortless. Rammstein with the uHA-120 and Ultrasone Pro 900 is nothing short of amazing. Punchy and fast, yet very detailed and natural sounding. It has a very slight warmth to it's sound, but doesn't come off as colored anyway like most tube amps I've heard. I am madly impressed by this little amp!

I told you :wink:

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #186 of 210
I have a FiiO E7 that I like, but I just don't feel is up to scratch, so I've been looking for a new headphone amp.  I've read a lot of reviews and ended up closely following what people have been saying about the Just Audio amps.  I've been in touch with Justin, who has been extremely helpful, and tomorrow I should be able to order a Vishay pot upgraded version of the amp!  Really excited, as I haven't seen a bad word said about the amps.

I've got a pair of Beyer DT1350s that I think will really benefit from the improved amp.  I love the 'phones but I think I will always wish they have more bass than they do :wink:.

Sorensiim, you're obviously very happy with these paired with the Ultrasone Pro 900s!  I've been looking at getting a pair of those but worry that they just won't be portable enough.  I used to have a pair of Denon 1001s and no matter how careful I was they eventually ended up breaking because there was no good way to store them.  I understand the Pro 900s come with a case but they still just look like they're SO much bigger than the DT 1350s.  You use these on the road or are they a more stay-at-home phone for you?

I will definitely put up my impressions when I've had some time to let the amp burn in a bit and listen to some different stuff through it.  I won't have the amp til early next week though, so will be a little while.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #187 of 210

Quote:
I have a FiiO E7 that I like, but I just don't feel is up to scratch, so I've been looking for a new headphone amp.  I've read a lot of reviews and ended up closely following what people have been saying about the Just Audio amps.  I've been in touch with Justin, who has been extremely helpful, and tomorrow I should be able to order a Vishay pot upgraded version of the amp!  Really excited, as I haven't seen a bad word said about the amps.

I've got a pair of Beyer DT1350s that I think will really benefit from the improved amp.  I love the 'phones but I think I will always wish they have more bass than they do :wink:.

Sorensiim, you're obviously very happy with these paired with the Ultrasone Pro 900s!  I've been looking at getting a pair of those but worry that they just won't be portable enough.  I used to have a pair of Denon 1001s and no matter how careful I was they eventually ended up breaking because there was no good way to store them.  I understand the Pro 900s come with a case but they still just look like they're SO much bigger than the DT 1350s.  You use these on the road or are they a more stay-at-home phone for you?

I will definitely put up my impressions when I've had some time to let the amp burn in a bit and listen to some different stuff through it.  I won't have the amp til early next week though, so will be a little while.

I used to have the HD25-1 II which is about the same size as the DT 1350 and the Pro 900 are literally twice as big. They're big and comfortable and while I love wearing them at the office, I can't really use them on the bus or anything like that - They're so big that the collar of my coat prevents me from turning my head when I wear them :D

I have no qualms bringing them with me though. Yes, they're plastic, but they're tough as hell. When was the last time you broke a Lego brick? 

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #188 of 210

Quote:
I used to have the HD25-1 II which is about the same size as the DT 1350 and the Pro 900 are literally twice as big. They're big and comfortable and while I love wearing them at the office, I can't really use them on the bus or anything like that - They're so big that the collar of my coat prevents me from turning my head when I wear them :D

I have no qualms bringing them with me though. Yes, they're plastic, but they're tough as hell. When was the last time you broke a Lego brick? 

Haha!  Can't even turn your head... yeah I think that's too big to be portable :).  I think that whenever I see those enormouse Beats headphones.  I think in time I'll invest in a pair of the Ultrasone but not for out and about.  As long as they have a case I don't see them ever getting damaged, just really need something more portable than that for travelling.

I've just ordered my uHA-120!  Should have it in a couple of days.  Really excited heh.  And both HiFi Headphones and Justin from Just Audio are a pleasure to deal with.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #189 of 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragmentedGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really excited, as I haven't seen a bad word said about the amps.

Clearly, you didn't read the reports from disgruntled IEM users who found the default gain on the initial batch of uHA-120s to be too high, rendering the amp unusable even at 9am for some folk. Justin, to his credit, responded quickly and the 'Rev 2' has lower gain settings.

I also made the point in my review that this wont be the 'right' amp for everyone, and that those wanting a warmer, more forgiving presentation may be better served elsewhere. The 120 tends to tell it like it is - for all the buzzword-compliance on HF, I dont know how many are genuinely prepared for that.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #190 of 210

Quote:

I also made the point in my review that this wont be the 'right' amp for everyone, and that those wanting a warmer, more forgiving presentation may be better served elsewhere. The 120 tends to tell it like it is - for all the buzzword-compliance on HF, I dont know how many are genuinely prepared for that.

I think our respective points of reference might be different but I don't consider the uHA-120 the most resolving, transparent and accurate portable amp out there.  My Leckerton is on another level by comparison.  I do consider the uHA-120 a warmer, more fun sounding amp with pretty good technical performance.  It is enjoyable. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #192 of 210

Quote:

Clearly, you didn't read the reports from disgruntled IEM users who found the default gain on the initial batch of uHA-120s to be too high, rendering the amp unusable even at 9am for some folk. Justin, to his credit, responded quickly and the 'Rev 2' has lower gain settings.

I have read those, however that isn't a judgement on the quality, so I didn't factor that in - but fair play.  I'm going to be using the amp with 80ohm headphones, and the new revisions of the amp also come with a jumper to adjust the gain so they can be used with lower gain IEMs.  So if I pick up a pair of JH-16's then I can try it out :wink:.

Mine just arrived and so far I'm loving it.  My headphones are very precise (Beyer DT1350s) so this is a really good match.  The amp has a lot of bass and is much warmer, so it pairs very well with the headphones.  The soundstage is way bigger than on my FiiO E7 (no surprise there!) and while it doesn't sound quite as clean, partly because the bass is so much more pronounced, I really prefer the sound.  The music that I love through the E7 I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be with the uHA-120, but everything else sounds so much better.  Really happy with it and I'm sure it'll get better once it's worn in a bit!

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #193 of 210

Quote:
I think our respective points of reference might be different but I don't consider the uHA-120 the most resolving, transparent and accurate portable amp out there.  My Leckerton is on another level by comparison.  I do consider the uHA-120 a warmer, more fun sounding amp with pretty good technical performance.  It is enjoyable. 

Lol Anaxilux you are not helping. I was already debating between the UHA120 and the UHA 6. I think you've swayed me back to the dark side (UHA6). I figur I'll have more power with the 6 and I can swap out OP Amps for versatility. Thanks once again. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #194 of 210
I've had the uHA-120 for a while now.  It pairs extremely well with the DT1350s.  The soundstage is much bigger, separation of instruments is excellent and the mids and especially the bass get a big boost.  Unfortunately, the amp has the opposite effect on the treble.  Everything still sounds clear but it loses the sparkle that the Beyers have normally, which is one of my favourite things about them.  I am really happy with the amp and use it all the time, but the music that I love listening to when using the headphones with a FiiO E7 is the stuff that this amp isn't as good at. 

For most music it's excellent, but if you like your treble and listen to anything like Rodriguo y Gabriela (11:11 especially) - very clean, sharp guitar sounds and no need for extra bass - then you're better off with something else.  I'm going to keep on happily using it but will eventually upgrade to something that matches its soundstage and bass but without losing that focus on the high end.  I expect I'll have to pay a lot more when that time comes though!

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #195 of 210
Hmmmm, bit of a strange observation about the treble. Besides the bass, absolute control across the board, and dynamics... treble is one area where I feel it excels the most. I've heard a colleague's F7, and the uHA is on a totally different level when it comes to treble extension, clarity, and detail. It's even noticeably better than my Arrow 3G in that regard. Maybe there's some pairing weirdness with the DT1350 (I only had them briefly, and not when I got the uHA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back