Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #121 of 149
The "Operating guide" of the Monitor 10 claims an aluminum voice coil, but it sure looks like copper to me. Copper plated aluminum could be a possibility, of course.

By curiosity I measured the resistance of the driver - it is 22-23 ohms, which means an impedance of a similar magnitude.

Listening still enjoyable.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #123 of 149

Quote:
The "Operating guide" of the Monitor 10 claims an aluminum voice coil, but it sure looks like copper to me. Copper plated aluminum could be a possibility, of course.

By curiosity I measured the resistance of the driver - it is 22-23 ohms, which means an impedance of a similar magnitude.

Listening still enjoyable.

IIRC, the Pioneer monitor 10ll are @ 25 ohm. I dont have a way measured the resistance of the 10's driver, but from my experience I'll say they are minimum 50-70 ohm.

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #124 of 149
Here is Monitor 10 II finally.

Improved over the monitor 10 in many ways. lighter weight, more comfortable, increased range top and bottom. More expensive too of course! notice the click lock adjusters. Real leather on the headband. I got these in great shape, just missing the foam? inserts (I put felt in their place. my ears didnt touch, but there were glue spots)

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #125 of 149
I'm sorry for digging up such an old thread but this seemed like The main Pioneer Monitor 10s thread here.
Got these wonders recently and fell in love with them really hard. Their sound is very unique, unlike any other pair of headphones I have.

Mine are a bit of way from pristine so I'm on a mission to restore them to beauty. Took them apart for precise cleaning and am going to have the cables changed for something nicer. Now I'm stuck with those dang earpads. Mine are in a bad condition and I thought I'd ask for your help. What earpads could work as replacement? Wouldn't like to have the sound signature change, would like it to look close to the originals and would like those new earpads to be of high quality. Any suggestions?
There is a review here on head-fi which seems to suggest Beyerdynamic DT48 earpads as replacement. But I'm not sure and I would so very much like to be.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #126 of 149
You could try the Fostex T50-RP stock pads, they seem a similar height and opening ( both important ), might be a tiny bit of overhang around the edges, but stick them on right with double sided tape  rings carefully for a trial fit, then later for a more permanent /stronger bond use some contact cement properly = both surfaces coated  and allowed to completly dry before pressing on exactly.
They are very comfortable. Probably cheap to source second hand in here since nobody uses them for their mods generally. They probably want to get rid of them :)

Either that or here:
If someone can confirm similar size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Cushion-Ear-Pads-Foam-For-Vintage-Old-SE-450-SE-450-DJ-Headphone-/251596461126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a94515446

One thing I noticed when using foam replacements in there, is that every single picture I see has the foam opening just at the point where the outer slits on the baffle driver opening are obscured. Unsure if or how this affects the resulting sound.
 i would think that either or is fine, possibly making sure it is not blocked there would be ideal. Who knows if this was even thought about that exactly at the factory. All that matters in the end is personal preference

looking at the inner opening of the auction ones it's hard to judge, they seem rather close shouldn't be a problem( don't quote me on that  :)  ).

Incremental mods thread for the Fostex T50rp has pics of pads down a bit in the first post. I can always measure them.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #127 of 149
Thanks for a reply.
Had no previous contact with those Fostex or their earpads. From what I could gather they are about 108mm X 89mm. That's about 1cm too wide so not sure how they would react and how the sound signature would react to a forced fit attempt.
Must admit this is a huge - maybe the only real one - flaw with Monitor 10s. Not only earpads are glued to cans, they're non-standard in shape. It's an oval of about 105mm hieght and 80mm width but slightly rectangularish and looking slightly more like a D than an O. And there's the custom shaped foam underneath too.
I was kind of hoping some Beyerdynamic earpads would fit. They're usually of very high quality. I wish every producer would have their earpads dimensions available on website...

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #128 of 149
It looks pretty nice
cool.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #129 of 149
Assuming you find a close match, while attaching /glueing the new ones down do one side normally then hold the other edge in a straight line like a "d" needs then secure it down. If you are using contact cement properly that should bond right away after applying proper pressure.
But you only get one real shot when you make the 2 surfaces touch, short of redoing it all over again and possibly tearing the pad backing.

Best of luck.
Only other options are  carefully making your own or finding a parts unit with extractable stock pads

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #130 of 149
Hello,

sorry for bringing this thread to life but I'm in big need.

I've bought Pioneer Monitor 10 headphones, these were very dirty, although in good condition. I've started to give it a good and careful cleaning but due to a sad accident one of the ear cups is now broken. I really want these to be my headphones and to be part of the vintage audio setup I've started last year (these things are older than me).
There's no one near me, that I know, that can help (Portugal is a little country and these are very rare in here) so I'm having a bad time with this search.

I wonder if anyone of you has this piece (left earcup, the part that has the earpad on it), or a default Pioneer Monitor 10, that can donate/sell it to me, or know someone or some store who may help?

Any help would be really great. I can't use the headphones at the moment         
frown.gif

Best wishes
Pedro 

It seems that I can't place photos, so I leave this link were you can see what I'm searching.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/76x9eewvf1w9jvb/AADY7zqqG0Q5pDvk_gDoP54-a?dl=0

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #131 of 149
Oh my, how did you manage that?
I'm afraid you'll just have to prepare some money in advance, some patience and just check regularly on ebay. They're bound to show up eventually. These Pioneers are quite amazing so I doubt any of the headfiers would easily part with them. But I may be wrong on this :).

As for my earpads search I've tried several options and finaly came upon Brainwavz HM5 super soft pads. This seems to hit the jackpot. Will post a photo and some in-depth impressions as soon as I glue them in but I can already say I love the sound and the comfort is outstanding.

Also maybe someone here could give me an advice on how to properly clean the metal parts here so they're nice and shiny? I've tried scrubing it with alcohol but that's not the trick apparently.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #132 of 149
After a careful cleaning (much needed), after slow drying, I left it for a final drying at direct sunlight at the top of my car... you can imagine the rest.... and how stupid I feel! I use to be very careful but not on that moment... where was my head?!!

My hope is that maybe someone has a pair that is for parts (broken drivers, for example). 
Like you suggest, I'm searching eBay, and also foreign used stuff websites like marktplatz, 2ememain, etc.

I share your opinion, hardly someone gives away these headphones, they look and are good (although I've used it only for a week), I don't want to put mine away, I will keep searching for the earcup. But I'm having a hard time, for now :frowning2:
Well, recently I had a happiness moment, until I received it and it was the earcup of a Monitor 10R, what a disappointing moment!!!

About the metal parts, I've never used it but I've been told to choose simichrome polish for vintage stuff. Anyway the headphones have more plastic than metal, better be careful with the alcohol over the plastic.

Don't forget me if it happens that you see a broken Pioneer Monitor 10 :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #133 of 149

Here are my Monitor 10 recabled by Forza AudioWorks (copper series, mini jack) and with Brainwavz HM5 super soft earpads glued in. Could've done a slightly better job fitting the pads but it's not like I can fix it now. It's good enough.
So first of all the headphones are immensely comfortable now. The pads are very thick and with memory foam so they feel like custom fitted pillows on my ears. Monitor 10 are uncomfortable to you? Here's your fix.
Now for the sound.
Initially they sounded very detailed but with weak lows and not very dynamic sound. These were my impressions and I was quite happy with that sound signature. But my original earpads needed replacing very badly so I had no choice but to find some. So I've removed the pads, cleaned the leftover glue and cloth scraps as well as I could. I've left the original gray foam inserts intact and on top of those I've put the HM5 pads. Now the crazy amount of details and clarity is still there but more dynamically sounding. It's like the highs are slightly boosted but with no harshness. A very pleasant effect. The mids are recessed but only a bit. They're definitely present and kicking with the same amount of detail and musicality as the highs. Now the thick pads add bass response to the mix and it's not super low bass but a solid, quick, layered type. There's lots of stereo imaging here, like the details in sound are not only audible but also precisely positioned.
I've been comparing these to Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32Ohm. M50s seem to have slightly more kick and power (Monitor 10s prefer higher volumes to show off better) but are far worse in every other aspect. DT770s do better but their signature V sound is very apparent when compared to my Pioneers. Beyerdynamics spurt out lower bass response though.
That's about it. I'm very happy with this mod. Now only need to clean and polish the metal and leather surfaces so the looks are on par with sound.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #134 of 149
Hello friends,

to those who have seen my message asking for a left earcup, well, it is finally solved and I'm enjoying my Pioneer Monitor 10.
They are fully original with only small hair line scratches and working very well.
I like their sound but I won't go into details as I'm not an expert so I don't want to mislead others searching for info on this...

Well, I can't place photos but here and here you can see photos of it.

My sincere thanks to those who did care!

Enjoy your music and gear
Pedro Neto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back