just a few Ety ER-4P things to think about...
Oct 13, 2002 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
1. i recently sent my 4P's back to IL to get them repaired. both the wires on the left and right sides, precisely where the wires come out of the small cylindars under the red and blue coverings are becoming stripped . the black covering of the wire hasn't come down even 1/4 of an inch, but it was enough for the silver speaker wire to become exposed and for me to become worried about my preciousess. i wasn't sure if this kind of problem could eventually lead to wire oxidation or possibly other things that i might not be aware of...not worth taking any chances or waiting any longer. i'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this sort of problem or anything similar to it? if you have them, please do share your experiences and opinions regarding those experiences!

2. has anyone ever experienced the 4P's through the iRiver imp350? i have tried the Ety's through a few other players, and the imp350 clearly stands out above the rest. many people may not know it (mainly people that have never used the imp350), but the imp350 can not only be adjusted in terms of bass and treble boost, but it can also perform a bass and treble corner frequency adjustment. there are not many players on the market that can state that they perform this unique task. i have heard and read many reviews say that the 4P's are a bit shy in the midrange section. the imp350's can change that shy midrange section by adding a bit more lower end to the 7khz-20khz region. what i do is raise the treble corner frequency and lower the treble boost so that the upper end sounds a little warmer. i don't really know if what i'm stating changes or impacts anything previously known about the 4p's, but i thought that i'd at least mention it to ya all.

that's about all i have to ask and talk about for now.
oh and by the way, i am SERIOUSLY going through ety withdrawl from having my phones being currently repaired half way accross the country
frown.gif
when will they arrive again? when will i be able to again enjoy my own, personal audio utopia.

take care everyone...i hope you all enjoy lying in bed while escaping off to your own ety bliss
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 10
I have used the Ety's with the SlimX and, although not a bad combination, tended to emphasise the noise (hiss) from the player. The hiss never really annoyed me and to be honest the Ety's can show up shortcomings in most players quite easily.

The good news is that the line output from the SlimX is fairly clean and doesn't suffer with the same degree of hiss.

The tone controls on the SlimX are very impressive - having a subtle effect on the overall sound which I like.

I think that perhaps the small pouch that comes supplied with the Ety's is perhaps a little too small - I think I will start using the case which came supplied with my Koss KSC-35's as it's bigger and less inclined to stress the cable.

At the moment I am using the Ety's with the excellent Nomad Jukebox 3 - occasionally with the Airhead amp but quite often on their own and the sound really is first-class.

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 10
I have had the black rubber cover on the Ety's slide down where it exposes the bare wire underneath the red and blue covers. I just usually pushed the black cover back up to cover the bare wire underneath the red and blue covers. I never thought it would lead to anything bad happening to the wire.

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 10
peddler,

i honestly can say that i hear no hiss when listening through the slimX. between songs i can hear nothing but complete, perfect silence.

RVD,

in my case, i've attempted many times to push the black covering back up over the wire. but with all that i try, i cannot get the covering up far enough to cover the wire. the individual that i spoke to at Etymotic said that, "my phones should not be doing this at all" and that "i should send them in immediately so the problem could be corrected."
i can see why he wants me to send them in. maybe prolonged exposure could lead to further and more costly damage.

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 10
zeplin, I had a hard time at first getting the black covering back up, but I figured out that I had to run my finger from the green pod on the cord all the way up to the driver to get the cover up.

Of course the black covering coming down a little is the least of my worries about my Ety's, as I am currently listening to the Ety's with 2 cuts in the cord (from a dog attack) that expose the bare wire.
redface.gif
I need to send them back, but have not gotten around to it.

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 10
RVD,
it's hard to send them back because you know you'll be without them for 10 days or so. just the thought of it use to scare me. it took me awhile to get around to it also. i just wish i had known about your method of pushing the wire back up a few days ago...i would have definitely given it a shot...oh well. good luck with your ety's. when debating with yourself about sending them in, just say to yourself, let em go man...just let em go!

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 10
my first pair of 4p's had similar problem with bare wire exposed under the strain relief. Since I only had them about 2weeks Headroom replaced them. Etymotic was willing to repair but that would have cost shipping & insurance

Re: the midrange response; This is where the er4 excells. If there is any weakness it may be in the low end or bass response on certain cd's

Just think how much you'll rediscover the joy of listening to your er's after they're returned from ety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back