Juli@ Hiss after modding
Nov 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
I recently did some mods to my Juli@. I was using the 1/4" balanced outputs. First I just changed some caps, not totally positive what they were for, and it seemed to have a positive effect.

Then I attempted to swap the original opamps for AD8066. These were the correct package, MSOP. The first one went off without a hitch. The second one, however, was my worst fears come true...ripped off two pads somehow removing the stock opamp, tried in vain to scrape off the traces and do some patchwork. Unfortunately the traces are so thin I could only get the slightest amount of tin on them, and it drove me insane trying to get that opamp in there for about 3.5 hours till I gave up.

I was using the 1/4" side mostly out of convenience, since my favorite cables use that connection. So I switched the thing around to its RCA inputs, thanking God at least I'd still be able to use the card.

It seems to work OK with the RCA -10db inputs...but it's quite noisy. It sounds pretty good, but with the volume of my Millett Max only 2/3 up, there's a noticeable hiss. Volume all the way up, it's very loud, like an old tube guitar amp.

So my question is...is the missing opamp on the balanced outputs responsible for this hiss? I thought they were totally separate topologies. As it is, the card is a little noisier than the onboard SoundMax on my old motherboard. If this is just how the Juli@ is normally, it's quite disappointing.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 3
OK. At least now I know. It's still listenable, but especially with chamber music that I normally have to crank the volume on, there's a definite hiss there. Sounds great apart from that.

Too bad. I've done enough soldering at this point -- several DIY projects, plus fixed a few guitar amps -- that I really thought I was safe in doing an opamp change. I will not be doing that again. Until I can get something new it's still a big improvement over the SoundMax, quality-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back