JRiver not functioning
Sep 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

doctorjazz

There is no Dana, there is only ZOTL!
Reviewer for The Headphone List
Hi. I've been using JRiver for years, have upgraded to the current version. For a long time now I can't get JRiver to work on my Windows 10 PC (it is aging, but working ok). For the longest time I used it with a Geek Out SE outputting to an amp, at one point just stopped working, didn't matter if I used a different da (CEntrance, for instance), or no DA. I get a message to the effect that ASIO not supported, change too WASPII and every other option, same result. I have it on a laptop, no problem there. The JRiver help WIKI is a pain to navigate, but I have posted there, got suggestions from an administrator that didn't help. Any ideas out there (good sounding alternatives also OK).
Thanks!

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks, @Riseval, I will.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 18
...got suggestions from an administrator that didn't help. Any ideas out there (good sounding alternatives also OK).
Since you're looking, there is Jukebox 2112 (and you specified "good sounding"; it does not disappoint).

I'm not clear if you need to use ASIO (XP-era band-aide to fix XP's latency for midi keyboards, mainly) or not so I'll show the device panel settings, and a link to a page with nine other pics. Oh, no single ones. Device is at the lower left.

08_settings_pt1.png

and the others are here:

https://40th.com/jb/

(JRiver forum has many helpful people. Except that one. It's not you. He hates the Internet most of the time and lets you know in expose' (there's something there now, but I'm not going to link).)

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 18
@Twenty-One Twelve, thanks, haven't even heard of this one, I'll check it out as well!

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 18
I had/have the same problem when upgraded to newest version of jriver. It worked but it would no longer recognize or play to (previously ok) players.
Went to their forum and posted my experience. The owner/mod (no need to give any comments if you have frequented it) closed my thread and locked it (at least he didnt delete it). He blamed it first on my network and then my computer. Both were (and still are the same as before the upgrade) shown to be not the problem.
I moved on to roon and am willing to give it a go for a year. Not sold as the support is horrendously slow (at least they dont close or lock your threads).

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 18
Unistall completely and reinstall JRiver.
Same too with your DAC drivers...

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 18
Tried JRiver and also MusicBee. Ended my search with TuneBrowser.
At the time, I did some research, A/B/C tests, compared use case scenarious, and I've been quite happy with TuneBrowser for some 2 years. Don't really remember the specific reasons for the choice...

Edit: But as said previously, if you're happy with JRiver, try uninstalling, reboot and fresh install.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Unistall completely and reinstall JRiver.
Same too with your DAC drivers...
Am using computer optical cable to dac not a driver issue as it does same with different dacs.
I did not provide all the info as i didnt want to hijack the thread but ...
I can open jriver 25 or 26 and i plays perfectly. on same computer (at same time or different doesnt matter) and it doesnt.
Even though this is not a microsoft product (since uninstalling and reinstalling is their default response to any problem), it did not work. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 18
@muslhead, you can "hijack" the thread, I'd consider all JRiver issues like this to be fair game.
I have reinstalled, uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, etc etc. I've upgraded all the way to 28 (current), hoping the new installation would be better.
I have used the Geek Out Special Edition for a long time with this PC and JRiver with no problems (it's hard to find the drivers for the Geek Out these days). I also have the new (and the old) Centrance Hi Fi M8 (which isn't supposed to need drivers for Windows), both have the same problem (in fact, going out of the computer without a DAC, I get the same error message). I installed JRiver28 on a recently purchased HP Windows 10 laptop, no problems there. The PC is old, but OK with Windows 10 on it, had it recently refurbished (the problem way predates the refurbishing-also hoped it might behave after months at the computer guy, but no luck).
I'm considering ROON as well, but it's pretty expensive (not in the world of High End Audio, I realize, but the annual or lifetime charge seems high to me). But I may try the trial version, see how it behaves (I do have a lot of music on hard drives, but even more on CD's and LP's-I feel like with ROON, I'll need to rip a few thousand CD's to make it worth paying for. But it's not that appealing to actually undertake such a project).

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 18
I agree, Roons price is high .... especially when its just a fancy database. It does provide more but not sure its worth it and why i only subscribed for a year and did not buy lifetime. I dont subscribe to streaming services as i have 80k songs in cd and sacd music something i have had time to do with jriver.
One of the other main benefits of roon is the multi room synch and not having to be stuck with one ecosphere like apple or blueOS Sonus. I like the flexitility and ability to use TOTL equipment if desired

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 18
If you have the latest version of JRiver they should be willing to help out via the Forums. If it is a bug in their product (not typical but does happen) they can fix it for a current version. They or another user will often help for older versions, but if it is a bug no fix will be forthcoming.

Jim can be a bit cranky but usually it takes a while before he locks down a thread. Usually the problems will be solved by reinstalling either the product or drivers but if that does not work it sems to fair to post a new thread stating what you have done and asking for input. Just keep a low key, even approach on the forums.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 18
It's been about a year, @originalsnuffy , I got some suggestions that didn't work. It's something in my PC-no problem on my laptop. Oddly, internet sites like YouTube work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back