JRiver Media Center 18
Jun 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #121 of 289
However, what does really disappoint me is that JRiver will be requiring a separate $50 license for the Mac version, even though I already paid the outrageous $50 for a Windows license -_- Greedy arseholes
Outrageous? $50 to be the backbone of a whole-house audio and video system, controlling multiple zones and devices, it was the cheapest upgrade to my system relative to the features it brings.

It's a hackintosh, not a mac. And yes, I'm happy spending money on ONE computer that runs TWO operating systems. And I would also be happy spending my money on ONE JRiver that supports TWO operating systems. Considering I can install the license on up to 10(?) windows computers, it doesn't make sense that when I boot into OSX on the same computer I need to pay another 50 bucks.
There is very little commercial software out there that has a free cross-platform license.
I do think they should consider offering a discount if you already own a license for one version, but they were already selling the Mac version heavily discounted for the last few months.

There has clearly been a lot of development work done to bring the software to OS X, and I think they deserve to be paid for it.
But you have already demonstrated that you don't think companies deserve to be paid for their work by building a "hackintosh" to begin with.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #122 of 289
lol at people getting so butthurt over my opinion.

And for your information, I have owned three macbooks, a 27" iMac, four iPhones and many iPods, so Apple has enough of my money. I built a Hackintosh so I can upgrade it whenever I please. Can a real mac run Crossfire 7970s? Nope. 

Yes, another 50 bucks is silly for a client whose competition is free (iTunes, Plex, Foobar, etc.) I love JRiver, but I could care less about any of the media center features. I just use it for audio.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #123 of 289
lol at people getting so butthurt over my opinion.

And for your information, I have owned three macbooks, a 27" iMac, four iPhones and many iPods, so Apple has enough of my money. I built a Hackintosh so I can upgrade it whenever I please. Can a real mac run Crossfire 7970s? Nope. 

Yes, another 50 bucks is silly for a client whose competition is free (iTunes, Plex, Foobar, etc.) I love JRiver, but I could care less about any of the media center features. I just use it for audio.

So use a free one on whatever you want and be happy? I paid my $50 after trying the free alternatives and deciding it was worth it. When I added a Linux server, the evaluation process started anew. /shrug

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #125 of 289
Out of curiosity I downloaded a copy of jriver for my macbookpro. Took ages to import/analyze every song.
Once done, I played some songs...

Am I imagining things or does music sound different through jriver compared to itunes? I'm listening through my mjolnir/gungnir stack btw. Thanks

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #126 of 289
Quote:
Out of curiosity I downloaded a copy of jriver for my macbookpro. Took ages to import/analyze every song.
Once done, I played some songs...

Am I imagining things or does music sound different through jriver compared to itunes? I'm listening through my mjolnir/gungnir stack btw. Thanks

Not different but just better!!!

wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #128 of 289
Quote:
Has anyone tried the JRiver for Mac.  I'm interested in a comparison to Amarra HI Fi.

I have the PC and the MAC versions.  The MAC version still has the WIndows look and feel.  Like the startup feature still says "Windows Startup" 
blink.gif

They're still not all the way there yet.  I would assume it will get the full MAC look and feel with all options and features for MAC soon.

However, it does play music and it plays it pretty well.  

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #129 of 289
Been running JRMC since 16, love it. Ran into a few problems a couple of years ago, and their forum was VERY helpful, lot of knowledgeable guys on there. Anybody on the fence should at least give the free trial a go, IMO. I grew up with a (completely unreasonable) disdain at the idea of paying for software, which I still have to fight to this day-- but I still pay for each upgrade to JRMC gladly. Killer app!!

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #130 of 289
Using JRiver for 2 years now and it is worth the money(also,just added fidelizer which is free).

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #131 of 289
Quote:
Using JRiver for 2 years now and it is worth the money(also,just added fidelizer which is free).

Does Fidelizer really make an improvement on system already running JRiver in bit perfect? I'm tempted to try... Do you use "standard", "audiophile" or "extremist" settings?

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #132 of 289
Quote:

Wow thanks for the heads up!!

What a great app.....sounds so much cleaner and more dynamic
size]

I tried Extreme and it was a bit extreme............so settled for audiophile!

EDIT:
Even on Audiophile setting, it slows the system down quite significantly....but the sonic improvement is quite a step up!!!

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #134 of 289

Wow thanks for the heads up!!

What a great app.....sounds so much cleaner and more dynamic
size]

I tried Extreme and it was a bit extreme............so settled for audiophile!

EDIT:
Even on Audiophile setting, it slows the system down quite significantly....but the sonic improvement is quite a step up!!!

Is it possible to easily go back and forth from using it?

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #135 of 289
I use fidelizer on a laptop which is dedicated to JRiver only and I use the "audiophile"setting.Everything seems to be on a new level of clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back