Joshua Bell, Itzhak Perlman or Jascha Heifetz
Jan 10, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's hit or miss. His Beethoven and Mendelssohn concerto's are great. His Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky is a little weak. I wouldn't say his recordings of the core repertoire pieces are cheesy, but some are underpowered, IMO.

Do you have any opinion about Perlman's recording of Bach's Partitas and Sonatas?

And do you have a particular favorite artist or two for the Ptas & Stas, that stand out among the many recorded artists/interpretations?

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #78 of 89
Missing from this list it seems, is Nathan Milstein. Finest balance of musicality, emotion and technique that I've ever heard.

His interpretations tend to be very straight (and modern, without alot of schtick ornaments like slides and over-exuberant vibrato), but he embues them with so much depth and airy beauty.

Also missing from the list is Michael Rabin. Paganini caprices recorded in his teens will blow you away. And the richness and fullness of his tone is something that even Heifetz was never able to achieve.

Also, an up and comer (in the Hilary Hahn ranks) is Julia Fischer. Like Hahn, she has solid technical chops, but also suffers from an overly sweet style. Too careful and not enough grit for my taste.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #79 of 89
Oh, and Leonid Kogan's Shostakovich is thrilling. In a few words, his style is focused intensity.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

I do have a funny anecdote about the Perlman concert. There was this giant flower arangement that kept falling over during his performance. Stupidly, they kept ending the current piece and going off stage and fixing the flower arangement (propping it back up) and then perlman and his indian looking piano player came out, then started, then it would fall again, left, came back, left, came back.

They did this about 3-4 times before I had to leave to go to choir rehersal.

Hey, I was there too. I'd forgotten about the flowers falling over. I was at another concert when the fire alarms went off right as Edgar Meier came in in whatever concerto he was playing at the Midland Center for the Arts, so worse can happen I guess but I still thought it was annoying. Edgar was the last one to stop playing at this other concert. We had to evacuate but the show went on after 20 minutes or so of determining that there was no fire. As for the Perlman concert I wasn't familiar with most of the pieces but his playing was great as I could tell.

Anyone heard Oleg Pokhanovski?

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #81 of 89
Oistrakh,

Wow! I have never heard that version before. So beautiful! Is it available as a DVD or what about CD? If it is I will order it today.

Good to see you posting again. Since I last posted here I think I have purchased everything Hilary Hahn has ever recorded. I am begnning to like her more and more. One thing is for certain all most of her recordings are all very high quality recordinging efforts and I am beginning to see her as an amazngly consistent perfromer. She's still not my favorite but as it is now I always enjoy listening to her.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #84 of 89
Oistrakh,

I have heard of Michael Rabin but I am totally unfamiliar with his music.

What is your opnion of him?

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #85 of 89
I like Michael Rabin's playing very much. He made some great LPs. Unfortunately, he died at a young age, presumably from suicide.

Rabin.jpg

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #86 of 89
I knew I recognized that name. Isn't Michael Rabin the child prodigy who early in his career became a heroin addict and then later OD'd. I am only familiar with his playing from a DVD I have on the history of the violing and it's players. He sounded lovley on that. I anyhting of his available?

Brian Kelly

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #87 of 89
Yes, that is Michael Rabin's story. I don't know about CD, but I'm sure his old LPs are still being 'traded'. They used to command quite a price -- I don't know if that's still true.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #88 of 89
Fortunately several CD's are available. I read more about him on the web as well. Apparently he was absolutely the real deal so I ordered two of his CD's. Thanks to Oistrakh for bringing him up.

He also appeared on the Bell Telephone Hour which is available on DVD along with Menuhin and Francescatti so I think I willorder that as well.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #89 of 89
Perlman I hate for his terrible concert performance, and while I think Bell's a decent player, he's not anything more. He's just decent. Probably not even good enough to be so widely known.

I really need to broaden my horizon and try some others mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back