Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)
Aug 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #47 of 279
Quote:
Thanks for the impression man.  That'll save me $150.

You can buy the next round with the money saved. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #49 of 279
Quote:
Thanks pcf for actually bothering with an AB. I'm jus too lazy to switch pads back and forth.
Of course if i had 4 hp1000i it would be a little easier
smily_headphones1.gif

This is me getting over excited about new toys. Now I have got it out of my system, I will just pick up which ever earpads that happen to be lying around. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #50 of 279
My mother bought a box of giant Ziploc bags from Ikea, I'm going to store all my Grado headphones in them individually, without the pads.

I know it's a peculiar question but should I keep the bag open or closed? and what do you guys do personally? (I know pcf uses such bags, and Joe Grado too)

Personally I'd roll the cable gently and zip everything inside, but make sure to leave some air. I'll also buy small silica gel bags to put in each of them. This is just for storing and not travelling as I don't think it would be adequate unless secured in clothes or pillows inside luggage.

Also I'm changing University, taking on a geology bachelor's degree, but the room I found is in a basement, and my mother tells me those places get kind of humid... so I was thinking to spend this school year living with... my only Grado who's drivers can be replaced without me bawling, my glorious SR325i. And I'll also leave my HPA-1 the same way. I'm not sure when I'll be able to further my HP2-i impressions / review though, and I apologize to those who were waiting for it. It should be on the midterm break or maybe even before in a week-end, as I'm not going to be too far away as to never come back.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #51 of 279
I use a pelican hardback 1080.

http://www.pelican-case.com/1080-laptop-cases-by-pelican.html

Crushproof, water resistant, air pressure controlled, fire resistant, dust proof.

Removable foam cubed inserts allows you to customize it to fit inside perfectly.

Incredibly overkill but it is an hp1000.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #52 of 279
I keep the bags closed. 
Also have aluminum cases with cube foam (a poor relation to the pelican case mentioned above) for each pair of HP1000.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #53 of 279
Wonderful post devouringone3.  Besides being ultra informative it also serves as a testament of your appreciation to all things Joe Grado.

Have to admit I learned a few things myself along the way.

Well done !

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #54 of 279
Great thread btw !! 4 pairs of HP1000i, really ?! Wow !!! 

I'd like to know a few things about this upgrade :

Firstly, does Joe replace the drivers with the upgrade or not ?!

I've also lost a few driver screws with time, do you think he can supply those ??

Does he keep all the spare parts that he's changing ???

What's the length of the new cable ??

Does he communicate by email or only by phone ?!

What is the payment mode is he using ?

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #55 of 279
I'm pretty sure Joe didn't replace mine, as I told him that my pair was the back up of the original owner, and was left unused for 23 years. But he does replace those of a used HP-1000 with NOS ones.

I've seen 2 locking screws for sale on Head-Fi in June/July, and I know Joe doesn't have any more of these. About the driver hexagonal screws, hum, I don't know. Rhydon might have them, but it's worth asking Joe too. I wonder how you succeeded in loosing "a few" of them, they're usually under the pads and go quite deep through the metal sleeve (it should take quite a bit of time for them to unscrew entirely with normal usage of the headphones).

Yes he keeps all the parts he's replacing and changing.

My dual cable is approximately the length of the stock Ultra-Wide Bandwidth it came with, so ~6 feet, very close to that.

Nope he doesn't use his email address, a friend of mine just tried it and never got a reply (so, phone :/ ).

He uses Western Union, but I was able to pay him with a Canadian to US cheque they made for me (costed 44 CAD) at my Caisse Populaire Desjardins, lol.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #56 of 279
Joe might still have some screws. The best thing to do is to ask him.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #59 of 279
"Knowing that there will be evolutionary improvements in our headphone design, I have designed the headphones so that any new developments can be upgraded into the present headphones without having to throw away the "old" ones." (– Joe Grado, Stereophile issue of May 1991)

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #60 of 279
I don't mean to mean to offend anyone, but knowing how some of you seem to like Joe very much, i won't be surpised if i some of you are offended by my comments, so since i don't know Joe pesonally, my comments are strtictly buisness related.

From the start i'd like to say that as much as i really like the sound of my HP2s, i still prefer the sound signature of my PS1000s,and i can't help but think that they wouldn't have the same following if they were still in production, and selling for the same price as say, the PS1000s.It's a bit like Mustangs, some peoples would still choose a 1969 Mustang Mach 1, even if the new GT can outperform it in every aspect, acceleration, braking, handling, and safety, there's nothing wrong with that, but i'm just saying.

Regarding Joe's HP1000 mods, they're are many reasons why i chose not to go through with it, altough any one of them is reason enough for me.

First, and i know this is purely subjective, but i find the asking price too high for what's involved.

Second, i bought my HP1000s  because i like the way they sound stock, not beeing able to compare a moded pair to my stock one, makes it a risky proposition, because what Joe percieves as an improvement, might not be one for me, after all, some peoples prefer the sound of older RS1s to that of the ''i'' or improved models, of course, this goes for all ''i'' models.

Third, i have read that  for some Joe took around three months to complete the modifications, and altough i hope he stays with us for many more years, i can't help but think what if something happens while he's working on my HP2s.

Fourth, altough unlikely, for some reason, i'd be affraid they would get lost in the mail.

Finally, just like i'd never call someone crazy for modding their HP1000s, or spending $150 for the new improved flats, i wouldn't want to be called stupid or cheap, for deciding not to go through with it or for going for the $30 TTVJ flats.Keep in mind that this is just one man's opinion, so don't take it to heart, take it with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back