José González's Veneer: Recommendation
Jul 24, 2007 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

boomana

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm always on the lookout for good acoustic guitar, singer-songwriter cds, but more often than not, I bump into music that is too wimpy-voiced, sentimental, pretentious, syrupy, overdone or some other annoyance (yes, I'm a snob) that makes me just want to smash it after listening for a few songs. A couple weeks ago in a can't-sleep buying binge, I bumped into this cd by a guy I'd never heard about, and as it turns out, neither had my friends. So....if you like this type of music, I'd just like to recommend Veneer. I can listen to it from beginning to end without wanting to skip songs. It's intelligent music, from playing to lyrics. I like it for it's simplicity and the emotion that lies under every song without needing to throw itself at you. It's a little Simon and Garfunkelish in that way, but I don't feel like I'm listening to any imitation or even homage.

Rather than trying to describe what's better left to listening, here's a link to allmusic.com where you can check it out yourselves. Enjoy.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:fbfyxqwaldfe

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dozens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard Page France? If you dig Jose and/or Iron & Wine, Page's stuff is up there with it. Check out the track "Chariot"!

I am also an Iron & Wine fan, but Page France? Eeek. I had Come, I'm a Lion and have heard Hello, Dear Wind. His music, for me, is the definition of self-conscious, always on the edge of schmultz or cutsie, and he's got to have one of the more annoying whiny, wimpy voices out there. No no no. José is sooo much better than that. Just my opinion, mind you
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 20
Awesome album, but the osund quality leaves a little to be desired in some places. I'm not sure if it was the same stateside, but one of the tracks form it was used on a Sony TV advert, the one with the bouncing balls [sic.]

For a few more Jose thrills, try "The Garden" by Zero7. They use Mr Gonzalez as a guest vocalist on a few tracks, and do a great re-working of "crosses", one of his best tracks.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His new album will be released this September.
Also, if you like José, check out his band JUNIP [ http://www.junip.net/ ].

Thanks. I'll definitely be checking it out. Dang, I love head-fi. I probably wouldn't have discovered that on my own, though I admit to not having check out José's website yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome album, but the osund quality leaves a little to be desired in some places. I'm not sure if it was the same stateside, but one of the tracks form it was used on a Sony TV advert, the one with the bouncing balls [sic.]

For a few more Jose thrills, try "The Garden" by Zero7. They use Mr Gonzalez as a guest vocalist on a few tracks, and do a great re-working of "crosses", one of his best tracks.

The sq is fine for me, but it does appear to have been recorded differently on separate tracks, maybe in different studios, different time periods (?). The mixing and mastering was done by the same guy, so I'm not sure why there are inconsistencies from track to track, but it doesn't bother me at all, though is easy to notice. Nice tape hiss, btw. Don't hear that much anymore.

I'll also check out "The Garden." Crosses is one of my three favorite tracks from the CD.

As a side note, jp11801 and I used this CD in a CD3000, R10, PS1 shootout last night. I later went home and added my K1000s and modded K340s into the impressions mix. Preliminary thoughts are in the headphone forum, but I'll be adding more later. This is a great CD for headphone comparisons.

EDIT: I don't know about the Sony ad. I was never much of a tv watcher. All those moving colors and shapes and noises kick up my ADD and I can't pay attention (seriously). Mine actually blew up a couple months ago in a lightning storm (yes, I had it on a surge protector), and I haven't bothered to replace it...maybe one day.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heartbeats.

It was originally a cover of Swedish electronica duo The Knife, which Jose is a fan of. IMO, I think Jose's version is way better and puts the lyrics of the song into a different perspective and mood with just a acoustic guitar.

He also did a cover of Massive Attack's Teardrops for a local radio performance and it was brilliant.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 20
I really like Jose, but I find Kings of Convenience has a lot more replay value personally. It might be too "wimpy" for ya, but if u like acoustic guitar and chill music this might be up your alley.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 20
J-Pak, where did you get your copy? I'd pre-ordered one from Amazon, but it wasn't due for release, I think, until the end of September. Glad to know you like it.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J-Pak, where did you get your copy? I'd pre-ordered one from Amazon, but it wasn't due for release, I think, until the end of September. Glad to know you like it.

I cheated. A friend of mine let me know the album leaked and I just couldn't resist
frown.gif

I intend to pick up a copy on release day.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 20
this album was just recommended to me a few weeks ago here in response to a thread looking for similar artists. Veneer has become my new favorite album, or at least one of them. check out Sean Hayes's Flowering Spade, if you haven't heard it already; he has four albums out, and they're all good, but that one is by far the best.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cheated. A friend of mine let me know the album leaked and I just couldn't resist
frown.gif

I intend to pick up a copy on release day.

Nice save.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this album was just recommended to me a few weeks ago here in response to a thread looking for similar artists. Veneer has become my new favorite album, or at least one of them. check out Sean Hayes's Flowering Spade, if you haven't heard it already; he has four albums out, and they're all good, but that one is by far the best.

I don't know Sean Hayes, but will definitely check him out. Thanks. Gotta love head-fi. I'm listening to a beautiful Gabor Szabo track right now (Mizrab from The Sorcerer) that I learned about here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back