Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #601 of 686
Thank you for editing of your previously commnet. It was a bit confusing at first.
Audio 46 is still a dealer of Jomo Audio, if you want to order something Im sure Tony will be glad to help you.
Im not quite sure what is the $5K demo on sale thingy that you are referring to, could you please give us more detail? Jomo never had a $5K IEM product. If you have an question about that, feel free to ask me.
I believe he's talking about the MMR thummim.

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #602 of 686
joseph/jomo audio seems suspect to me; a new company, charging kilobucks out the gate, creating hype by way of free $5k earphones demo review units(that are now being sold second hand (greasy)), audio 46 seems to not want to stock their products anymore, not to mention the creation/transition of MMR, witch also has comical prices for a brand new company. $5k earphones with a 2 year warranty from a company touting pride in craftsmanship. A limited lifetime warranty would have been the least I would've expected to see on something like that. two years is long enough for a company to dissolve and reemerge again as another boutique.

I know about the history of audio he has. still seems shady to me overall.

Jomo Audio has been around for a while though...? Unless your concerns are with MMR specifically.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #604 of 686
joseph/jomo audio seems suspect to me; a new company, charging kilobucks out the gate, creating hype by way of free $5k earphones demo review units(that are now being sold second hand (greasy)), audio 46 seems to not want to stock their products anymore, not to mention the creation/transition of MMR, witch also has comical prices for a brand new company. $5k earphones with a 2 year warranty from a company touting pride in craftsmanship. A limited lifetime warranty would have been the least I would've expected to see on something like that. two years is long enough for a company to dissolve and reemerge again as another boutique.

I know about the history of audio he has. still seems shady to me overall.

This is one of the most factually-incorrect, near-blatantly-ignorant posts I've seen on Head-Fi to date.
  • Jomo Audio was conceived all the way back in 2015, where their most expensive model (the Jomo 6R) was priced at S$1099 or around US$800: https://headfonics.com/the-6-6r-by-jomo-audio/
  • Jomo has never put out a $5000 IEM, and sending out free-of-charge review units for publicity is a practice that's about as old as the industry; literally everybody does it (apart from a few, very rare outliers like Spiral Ear): https://www.jomoaudio.com/pages/ciem
  • Do you have any evidence of these reviewers selling review units? I've never heard of such a thing happening with a Jomo IEM. Even if someone decided to secretly do so, that would be the reviewer's doing and not Jomo's, no?
  • Something else most brands do is offer a 2-year warranty, even with super-expensive, summit-fi flagships. Empire Ears, Vision Ears, Noble Audio, 64 Audio and JH Audio (to name a few) all tout 2-year warranties for their custom products, with a few of them only offering a 1-year warranty for their universals. They've been around for ages, and their flagships today range between US$2700-3600. Vision Ears' Erlkonig in particular costs over US$4000. So, if you have an issue with companies offering just 1-to-2-year warranties for their high-end products, then take it out on the whole industry; not just Jomo: https://empireears.com/pages/warranty, https:// visionears.de/imprint, https://www.nobleaudio.com/pagewa, https://www.64audio.com/pages/warranty
  • Even then, if you do run into any issues with your custom IEM after the warranty period expires, Jomo offer a service, which allows you to fully refurbish your custom unit and even reshell it for someone else's ears should you choose to sell or give it to someone else; a luxury most other companies have stopped offering: https://www.jomoaudio.com/products/iem-service
  • MMR isn't some kind of scheme for Joseph to ditch and dissolve Jomo Audio. As far as I know, Joseph only designs the internals for MMR and assists in manufacturing the custom units. Other than that, both companies are independently-run and active simultaneously. As long as Joseph's work in MMR hasn't caused anything like Jomo's lead times to increase, for example, then I don't see anything wrong with having more than one project going on at once.
I believe he's talking about the MMR thummim.

No, he's referring to the Thummim when he mentions MMR ("...not to mention the creation/transition of MMR, witch also has comical prices for a brand new company. $5k earphones with a 2 year warranty from a company touting pride in craftsmanship..."). The use of also strongly implies that he was referring to Jomo when he initially talked about coming out with a "$5K earphone," which, again, is blatantly false, unless you're referring to a currency like the Zimbabwean dollar or something.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #605 of 686
Well, it all seems nuts to me. You guys are free to like what you like but It all just seems a bit much for me. Listing other companies that are just as crazy is only showing how lost this whole hobby has become.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #606 of 686
Well, it all seems nuts to me. You guys are free to like what you like but It all just seems a bit much for me. Listing other companies that are just as crazy is only showing how lost this whole hobby has become.

Look, there’s no denying how elevated the hobby’s become in terms of extravagance, pricing, etc. Those are things I’d have no issues with people speaking up about. Even the issue you’ve brought up with the warranty is valid. But, the problem here isn’t with regards to that. The problem here is you blatantly spreading misinformation and accusing Jomo of things they’ve never done. They’ve never sold a $5000 IEM, they’ve never sold review units or asked reviewers to do so, they didn’t “just recently” come out the gate and only “charge kilobucks,” and they didn’t set a 2-year warranty because they planned to do something malicious.

Addressing the last point specifically because it’s the only one that has any truth in it, Jomo set that warranty period because it was industry-standard, and that’s why I listed the companies I did. Ideally, of course we should have the best warranty possible for both the consuming and manufacturing parties, but this is an industry-wide thing; not something Jomo came up with like you’re painting it out to be. If you want to speak up about it (and I feel people should if they feel strongly about something), then include everyone; don’t single out brands for no reason.

EDIT: You’ve also yet to provide any proof whatsoever of reviewers selling their Jomo review units, or Jomo allowing/requesting/soliciting reviewers to do so. That’s a massive accusation not just towards Jomo, but to reviewers like myself too.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #608 of 686
There's a demo Trinity for sale on here currently for 1500 euro

Is this the listing you’re referring to?https://www.head-fi.org/threads/price-dropped-jomo-audio-trinity-ss-free-shipping-worldwide.930781/

Are you sure that’s a review unit and not a used demo unit that they purchased from a dealer? In case you weren’t aware, once a dealer stops collaborating with a brand, or if a product they carry is phased out, then (in most cases) they’re allowed to sell that demo unit at any price they set. This has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, which in this case is Jomo. I’ve seen it happen with AAW and 64 Audio in my hometown alone.

The seller also hasn’t reviewed the Trinity on Head-Fi, so I don’t know how you got the idea that they were a reviewer, let alone a well-known, sponsored one. The lack of accessories and packaging on the listing further points to it being an ex-store demo.

Finally, on the off-off-off-chance that this is a review unit they’re selling, then that’s all on the seller; no fault goes to Jomo or any other reviewer whatsoever. I don’t see how, as you put it on your initial post, this makes Jomo seem “shady” in any way. If this were the case, then the reviewer/seller would be the shady one, correct?

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #610 of 686
Yeah that one.
That person is not a reviewer and we have no affiliation with him/her. The demo could be from one of our dealers that we terminated dealership with previously. And it is not Audio46.
Dealers can sell their demos off after termination of the dealership with us. It is normal for all brands and dealers out there.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #612 of 686
I've removed my post as it was crap. I had a bad reaction to the prices. I need to learn to just stay in the budget fi arena & leave the summits to you all.
Probably a lot healthier for you and your wallet at the end of the day. The good news for you is that the budget and mid-fi options are quite strong these days. There's also the second hand market on headfi if you want to pick up a bargain as well if you are lucky. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's possible to be interested in products and impressions without actually buying anything. It's also incredibly easy to get swept up in the hype trains that go on around here. Do agree with the prices though.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #613 of 686
I've removed my post as it was crap. I had a bad reaction to the prices. I need to learn to just stay in the budget fi arena & leave the summits to you all.
Perhaps it is best to reserve judgement until you are fully informed about something and avoid generalised statements based on assumptions. Reviewers like @Deezel177 and myself (others too, of course) get confronted with this sort of thing regularly and it is incredibly frustrating. I go through great lengths to be transparent and show that I review because I enjoy writing and love music, that when I get review samples I put them to good use and even send those around at my own expense so more people can demo them. I actually wrote a post recently explaining why selling off review samples is a dumb thing to do for a reviewer (link).

That is just the reviewing part. How do you think it is for manufacturers to have to deal with this sort thing constantly? I don't make any money from my reviews, but for a manufacturer it is their livelihood, often times their passion where they put in crazy amounts of work to build it up. Yet it is constantly under attack from people who feel it is okay to criticise for arbitrary reasons, while they rely on assumptions and blind speculation. Yes, prices can be extremely high, but every hobby has a luxury tier, so why not audio? Portable audio is even boringly tame compared to the excesses of the luxury tier in speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #614 of 686
As a current owner of a Jomo Samba and Trinity Brass, I can say I've been quite happy with both. I've never had to deal with servicing as both of my IEMs have not had issues.
The Samba remains one of my 2 all time favorites and will probably keep until it breaks. And then i'll find a used one and have it reshelled again.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #615 of 686
I have a Trinity Brass coming in the next couple of days and very excited about it. I think it should round out my collection quite well. Thanks for showing your support to the company -- it gives me more confidence in my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back