Johnny Marr- Genius Guitar Man but UTTERLY DEAF
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Johnny Marr- so much to answer for.
frown.gif

Just the latest in a long long line of original artists mistakenly entrusted with the precious master tapes of their glory years, only to completely miss the point of their own legacy and utterly butcher the result.

Any time you read in the liner notes that the original artist was involved in the remastering of their back catalog, rather than that being a mark of "quality" as their record company might have you believe, you can instead infer that the sound will be absolutely abysmal. Most original artists don't know the first thing about audio and are for all intents and purposes DEAF, from years of playing their songs at ridiculous volumes.

---------------------------------------

If you grew up at a certain time, and were sensitized to a certain kind of music of a certain vintage, and you were a sensitive soul way before it was fashionable, to you, The Smiths recorded output is almost holy; their recordings are almost sacred texts.

We devoted fans have been waiting years and years and years for these records to be remastered. There have been rumours of a complete box set, remastered, for many years, but it never showed up.

Finally, the first dribblings of such a monumental effort have showed up in the form of The Sound of the Smiths. Take your pick- one CD or 2CDs of travesty and sacrilege.

Johnny Marr dared put his name on this abomination of remastering. Shame on you!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

It's awful. Compressed to death and EQ-ed to within an inch of its life. It's completely un-listenable.

These master tapes are really a sacred trust to fans, and when their half-author completely botches the job... This is probably the thin end of the wedge with the full Smiths remaster catalogue soon to be re-released totally approved and butchered by Johnny Marr...

God what a tragedy. Leave the remastering to the professionals!

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Now if only Morrissey would turn mute.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Is it really that bad? The original cds didn't sound all that great to begin with though. well, maybe strangeways sounded pretty good i guess.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
oh no!! this is horrible news. and it will probably not get another chance at remastering for years and years... if at all.
mad.gif

maybe Steve Hoffman and/or MoFi will take it upon themselves to do the right thing? they tackled The Pixies after all.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh no!! this is horrible news. and it will probably not get another chance at remastering for years and years... if at all.
mad.gif

maybe Steve Hoffman and/or MoFi will take it upon themselves to do the right thing? they tackled The Pixies after all.

Am I alone in thinking the MoFi Pixies stuff is not that well done? Ducks to avoid flame!
wink.gif
lol just been on the mofi site, apparently I am.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I alone in thinking the MoFi Pixies stuff is not that well done? Ducks to avoid flame!
wink.gif
lol just been on the mofi site, apparently I am.

i don't know much about the process, but my assumption was that it was a good job considering the raw materials they had to work with. most post-punk was pretty badly recorded.

i'm still waiting for SST remasters to come out, but i think i'll go to my grave waiting for those.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 13
I just think that such a good job was made of the original production of these albums by the likes of Steve Albini and Gil Norton, that a remaster is not really required? SACD yes! Remaster from mysterious, newly discovered, analogue masters, no?

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 13
There is a light that never goes out.
Panic.
hand in gloves.
meat is murder
Great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back