Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
Nov 29, 2002 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I picked this up the other day. It has a handful of new songs by Cash and a lot of covers, including Depeche Mode's "Your Own Personal Jesus", Simon & Garfunkle's "Bridge Over Troubled Water, " and Eagles' "Desperado."

But... my favorite part of the album... the one song that really dug deep into my psyche was his cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt." This track is reason enough to buy the CD and I think probably is reason why a lot of people have.

Nov 30, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Cash cover NIN?! I can't believe it. That's awesome. A friend turned me on to "American 3" last year and hearing Cash's covers showed me his beauty as a singer (I'd never listened to him before!) You MUST check out his covers of Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat" and Will Oldham's "I See a Darkness" on "American 3". Download them or whatever and give them a listen, I think you'll agree they're amazing. In fact, I gave Jude "American 3" during the last Head-Fi exchange!

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Honestly, he's pretty old and his voice sounds very tired.

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 11
I have to agree with Kelly on this one. A great album. For me the best song on the CD is the first one The Man Comes Around written by Johnny himself. This along with Hurt was enough to make me buy the album. Other highlights for me not mentioned by Kelly were Johnny's arrangements of Sam Hall and Danny Boy (Did you ever think you would hear Johnny accompanied by a pipe organ?). If they ever remaster Dr. Strangelove I would suggest they use the cover of We'll Meet Again for the closing scenes. I agree with Chadbang that his voice has aged but you can still pick up some of the power in his voice that was evident on early recordings such as the live performances at Folsom Prison and San Quentin.

Dec 20, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, I remember hearing his take on "Your Own, Personal Jesus" for the first time on the radio, I thought I was going to run off the road.

The dude's got a HUGE set.

He has covered all kinds of stuff over the decades, but he is his own man with true style.

I got a DVD recently with a lot of very early TV show clips of some great old Cash tunes, I believe it's called Anthology (my brother borrowed my copy), this was a very cool cat back in the day.

Jan 7, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Just got this cd today.
So far, it's outstanding! Produced by Rick Rubin, what did I expect. Anyway, if you are looking for something a little different, YOU SHOULD BUY THIS ALBUM!

True, his voice is not quite the same as it was in the past, but I think this adds to the whole groove of the album!!

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 11
I bought this a couple of weeks ago after seeing the video for 'Hurt'. It's an excellent cd with Johnny's cover of 'Hurt' being the stand out track for me.

I agree that the weakness of his voice only adds to the emotion generated by this album. The man is 70 years old and rather ill. Amazing.

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 11
I finally got around to buying this album and I have to agree with everyone, it's great fun. And Johnny does sound fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I have to agree with Kelly on this one. A great album. For me the best song on the CD is the first one The Man Comes Around written by Johnny himself.

Yep, Morpshsi, I'm with you on that one! Cool track. I actually get the feeling Cash has picked up a little about writing "deeper," more experimental lyrics from performing other artists songs on the past couple "American" album.

Jan 9, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks everybody
tongue.gif
, I spent some of my hard earned money to order this! Should be here in a few days. Thanks for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back