Johnny Cash - American IV: How's the mastering?
Mar 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 21
I got it and I listened to it all the way through for the first time. It sounds pretty damned good. The only time I noticed the compression is when Hurt begins to build up towards the end.
Otherwise, I'm deeply impressed by this album.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I noticed the compression is when Hurt begins to build up towards the end.

I think this is intentional, as it really adds to the effect of the song. As far as mastering on a modern audio CD, though, this is a very good one overall. The vocal track just sounds somewhat boosted to me throughout most of the album, but it's a pretty dynamic sounding album just the same.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no kiddin? hmmm...mine actually sounds OK to me.

No kiddin'. For a reference point, you might listen to Stadium Arcadium for a few minutes, and then pretty much anything from your CD collection that wasn't digitally mastered. If you have, for example, an old pressing of Thick as a Brick, that one stands out to me as one of the very best examples of a dynamic album.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 21
I trust your opinion Jaska. I guess I just enjoy the actual music and lyrics on Stadium so much that I never paid much attention...I mean it's not absolutely terrible SQ...IMO

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #21 of 21
I got it and I listened to it all the way through for the first time. It sounds pretty damned good. The only time I noticed the compression is when Hurt begins to build up towards the end.
Otherwise, I'm deeply impressed by this album.

This portion was a difficult passage.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back