Joe Henderson . . . Live in Japan!!
Jun 6, 2002 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I just got this recording (on CD) and I must say it is really incredible!! I play the tenor sax, and most likely this is the reason that I love jazz so much, but I do especially love the sound of the sax (Rollins, 'Trane, Bird, Adderly, and now Henderson) are some of my favorite jazz saxophonists . . .

Now, about "Joe Henderson LIVE IN JAPAN" . . . (I think that this CD was reviewed by many to be a phenomenal performance by Henderson, perhaps one of his best recordings? So I thought that it would be a good one to get a taste of Henderson's best).

To be honest, I absolutely loved every single song on the CD. Every one. I've tried after listening to the recording over and over to find something that I liked in one song more than another, but with no such success.

If I were to describe Henderson's style of playing, I would probably call it somewhat of a blend of 'Trane and Bird. He has the sort of sense of 'searching' and odd innovativeness that originally set Coltrane apart partnered with the speed and great ability that left Bird as the legend he is. Although I can't truly say that he's a better (ability-wise) or more inspiring player than either 'Trane or Bird, I think he is nonetheless an increedible player and still was very inspiring and fun to listen to.

The first song, "'Round Midnight" impressed me a great deal, for I was able to hear Henderson's great tone as well as many of his skills without the bass, drums or piano in the background . . . it's not very often that you hear a saxophone alone without support from the rhythm section, so I thought that was somewhat innovative . . .

The second song, "Out and In" really demonstrates the great speed and agility, as well as tastefulness in many of the riffs and licks that he played . . .

The third and fourth songs, "Blue Bossa" and "Junk Blues" I think had great head's (lead lines) and were very catchy tunes, with great improvising by not only Henderson, but by the pianist (on the electric piano) as well!

In general, I think this recording really grooves, especially in the last song, "Junk Blues," with that great drumbeat and piano background! It has a very 'contemporary' air to it, much of this probably coming from the less traditional drumbeats and use of an electric piano . . . and because it was recorded in 1971 - though this contemporary is still traditional enough for my tastes and left me with a smile on my face after each of the thirty times that I listened to it this week.
wink.gif

I'll surely listen to this CD a great many times more so that I can transcribe some of the riffs for my own mental repertoire of sax riffs . . .

All in all, this record is really impressive in my opinion, and lately, I have found myself listening to it more than my 'Trane albums, which I love oh so much!

So who else has heard Joe Henderson?
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I totally agree. Joe Henderson was one of the most underrated Jazz musicians(Tenor Sax Player) ever. I'll have to pick this one up. I have some of his Blue Note recordings which are also excellent. I also have several of the Blue Note "RVG" recordings that he also played on as a sideman.

Jun 7, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 5
He definately has a searching quality in his playing and likes to go 'In & Out' in his music. But I wouldn't quite say he has a tehnique approaching Bird or Coltrane, but he sure has the feeling in him.

He did some of his better playing i've heard as sideman,

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
Grant Green - Idle Moments
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy
Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
Horace Silver - Song for My Father

My fav recording w/ Henderson as leader has to be the 1990s

So Far, So Near - Musings for Miles

It's obviously a Miles tribute that includes ex-Miles sideman Dave Holland, John Scofield, and George Foster. His playing is as refined as I've heard.

I also like 'State of Tenor vol.1 & 2' & 'Lush Life'(Strayhorn tribute)

I haven't heard the Live in Japan, but I will pick that up some time, thanks.

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Joe Henderson's "Inner Urge" and "Mode for Joe" are also fantastic sessions from the '60s, filled with fire, invention, and soul by all participants.

Other superb Blue Note sessions with Joe Henderson include Andrew Hill's "Black Fire" and Bobby Hutcherson's "Stick-Up!".

Jun 7, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, guys, I'll be sure to look at the other Joe Henderson records that all of you recommended. Good to know that there are others out there who like Joe Henderson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back