JM Audio mods and custom headphones
Nov 28, 2022 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gr4474

100+ Head-Fier
I have been on the hunt for headphones, trying a few recently. I bought the Fidelio X2hr, and they were nice and full sounding, but just to way dark in the treble for me. I realized want a bassy neutral sound. I think it's unrealistic to have anemic bass. I then bought the HE6se and really liked them. I thought $500 headphones would be end game for me. It has more detail than I'm used to, and sparkle, but not what I was imagining. It also has decent bass, but I was still wanting better, and wondering what else was out there.
I then downgraded to the Sivga Phoenix, to hold me over. I considered the Denon line, and Emu teaks. Everything seemed to have a compromise somewhere though even around $1000.

I decided I was going to sell an ebike that I lost interest in, and commit to spending $2000 on headphones. I was tired of compromising, and want to experience end game level, so I started looking at anything in that price range. I was listening to a random youtuber that made the comment that Gjallarhorn's had the best bass from the Kennerton's he heard. I checked them out and found this JM Edition modded version of the Gjallarhorn's. That got my attention...and led me to John Massaria. I started thinking of buying something, and just having him mod it. After talking to him, he mentioned that he also has some custom headphones. After talking to him though, I realized that I could have finally found my headphones. He was claiming his $700 creation could compete with anything. If I don't like them I could just send them back...so I bought them.

I got them a week or so ago, and am powering them with the vintage receiver, and an ASUS Xonar Xfinity sound card with upgraded op amps. (I need to overhaul the dac/amp situation) The first song I listened to with them just for 30 seconds, I could immediately hear detail and spaciousness that I've never heard before. I heard this reverb effect coming in so sparkly, and airy. I handed them to my wife, and she noticed the same thing, but she described it better. She said it was a choir! I listened and realized the choir sounded like a cool reverb. Anyway she agreed that the choir was "less muffled and louder". It's like it went from the background to closer with the female lead singer, but in a really good way. After letting them burn in and using them for a week or so, they have come more alive. I'm now waiting for an SMSL SU-10 to arrive in a couple days. I'm also thinking of getting a Soloist 3Xp soon.

I've never heard end game headphones. If there is anyone in the Dallas or surrounding area, I would be willing to drive to compare these to something nicer. Call it a headphones challenge! Are mine equal or better than yours? I'm honestly curious.

System.jpg

JM Audio Opus X.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 13
My HE6se was hard to drive. I was maxed out on the volume, and I know I didn't have the right amp for them. These custom headphones are pretty easy to drive at 64 ohms. I can't go past about half volume, and they are slammin. By the way, these headphones use a biocellulose dynamic driver. These use some kind of fiberglass mesh to spread out the sound.
JM Audio Mesh.png

Last night I was listening to someone's playlist, adding songs I like to mine. These sound so spacious. I really need that dac to get here, to see how much that upgrades the sound. Has anyone had there headphones modded from JM Audio Editions? I feel like I'm all alone here. These should be well known.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Ok so I after giving the SMSL SU-10 some time, I couldn't tell a difference between it and my soundcard. It wasn't the upgrade I had hoped, and so it's going back. I'm going with a Schiit Modius.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 13
My HE6se was hard to drive. I was maxed out on the volume, and I know I didn't have the right amp for them. These custom headphones are pretty easy to drive at 64 ohms. I can't go past about half volume, and they are slammin. By the way, these headphones use a biocellulose dynamic driver. These use some kind of fiberglass mesh to spread out the sound.
JM Audio Mesh.png
Last night I was listening to someone's playlist, adding songs I like to mine. These sound so spacious. I really need that dac to get here, to see how much that upgrades the sound. Has anyone had there headphones modded from JM Audio Editions? I feel like I'm all alone here. These should be well known.
Yep, I have the Gjallarhorn JM v2. Just got them. They sound really good, though I had to dampen the bass a bit so that it didn't drown out rest of the music. Do you have the XTC, or is that a different version?

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok so I after giving the SMSL SU-10 some time, I couldn't tell a difference between it and my soundcard. It wasn't the upgrade I had hoped, and so it's going back. I'm going with a Schiit Modius.
I don't like SMSL very much. I have a full Schiit stack and really enjoy it. Hopefully the Modius will give you what you're looking for/ I've found that Topping is pretty good, ifi is really good, and I'd say that SChiit and Burson are about the best I've found so far, though people love Chord - haven't tried.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 13
I will eventually grab his open back XTC model. I own the Gjallarhorn, and am awaiting the Vali Neo. I really like that they are so light weight. Hoping others who own his XTC models will chime in.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Yep, I have the Gjallarhorn JM v2. Just got them. They sound really good, though I had to dampen the bass a bit so that it didn't drown out rest of the music. Do you have the XTC, or is that a different version?
Mine is not the XTC, but a bit unique. It does have the same driver from my understanding.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm liking this 24/7 live stream I found:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 13
I will be comparing the XTC open and closed back soon. The only other headphone I have right now is the Ollo S4R newest version. I have a Astel&Kern CA1000T as source and amp. I have owned a lot of headphones in the past including quite a few flagships and so I can tell you how things sound comparing to the memory of what I had (Utopia, HE1000SE, LCD 4, Rognir, Stellia, Thekk, Rad-0 and more)

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 13
I will be comparing the XTC open and closed back soon. The only other headphone I have right now is the Ollo S4R newest version. I have a Astel&Kern CA1000T as source and amp. I have owned a lot of headphones in the past including quite a few flagships and so I can tell you how things sound comparing to the memory of what I had (Utopia, HE1000SE, LCD 4, Rognir, Stellia, Thekk, Rad-0 and more)
I had them both, the closed is a really good closed, but the open was still better. The competed pretty closely with the RAD-0 but had much better bass than the RAD. That's why I ultimately ended up keeping the XTC-O. Which versions are you getting? Bio-wool or Beryllium?

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 13
I had them both, the closed is a really good closed, but the open was still better. The competed pretty closely with the RAD-0 but had much better bass than the RAD. That's why I ultimately ended up keeping the XTC-O. Which versions are you getting? Bio-wool or Beryllium?
Beryllium. I love that detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back