JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
May 29, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #256 of 1,159
Since no one here has responded to your question on comparison of the LSA HP-1 (Kennerton sourced planar magnetic) or HP-2 Ultra (Kennerton horn-loaded dynamic) phones, I will respond that I now own Kennerton Rognir Planar and previously owned Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition (later modified by John Massaria to JM 2nd Edition) phones. My RP phones are much more neutral than the Gjallarhorn JM Edition and certainly the JME2 phones, the latter of which has an absolutely titanic and prominent bass signature. The RP is faster, more detailed, and spacious while the JME and JME2 are more bass-prominent, robust in the midrange, and dark. If you want a lot of bass weight, dynamics, and extension, go for the Gjallarhorn JME and JME2 if you can find one. I would imagine the HP-2 Ultra to have much of the same sound signature.

May 29, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #257 of 1,159
Since no one here has responded to your question on comparison of the LSA HP-1 (Kennerton sourced planar magnetic) or HP-2 Ultra (Kennerton horn-loaded dynamic) phones, I will respond that I now own Kennerton Rognir Planar and previously owned Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition (later modified by John Massaria to JM 2nd Edition) phones. My RP phones are much more neutral than the Gjallarhorn JM Edition and certainly the JME2 phones, the latter of which has an absolutely titanic and prominent bass signature. The RP is faster, more detailed, and spacious while the JME and JME2 are more bass-prominent, robust in the midrange, and dark. If you want a lot of bass weight, dynamics, and extension, go for the Gjallarhorn JME and JME2 if you can find one. I would imagine the HP-2 Ultra to have much of the same sound signature.
Thanks, looking to see how they compare to the XTC.. I have heard that the hp-2 ultras sound different to the ghallarhornes. I have the hp-2 and hp-1. Never heard the kennertons

May 29, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #258 of 1,159
I have the nearly-scapel tuned XTC-Closed and their sound is somewhere between the Gjallarhorn JME (2) and the Rognir Planar. My XTCs are more neutral, spacious, detailed, and have less bass weight than the Gjallarhorns but warmer, more dynamic and more bass than the RP. In fact, IMO the XTC has a perfect amount of bass weight, dynamics, and extension.

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #259 of 1,159
Can anyone who has experience with the XTC-Open and the HE1000V2 compare the soundstage of the two? I have read on other forums that the Hek's soundstage is huge, so am just wondering how the XTC-Open compares. Will be driving them off of the new EF600, if it helps. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #260 of 1,159
Can anyone who has experience with the XTC-Open and the HE1000V2 compare the soundstage of the two? I have read on other forums that the Hek's soundstage is huge, so am just wondering how the XTC-Open compares. Will be driving them off of the new EF600, if it helps. Thanks!
Haven't heard both, but I certainly wouldn't expect the Hifiman out of your head experience from these.

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #261 of 1,159
Haven't heard both, but I certainly wouldn't expect the Hifiman out of your head experience from these.
I see. Now I am wondering if that massive stage is worth the extra 600$ for the open box heks. Do you have the XTCs or the heks?

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #262 of 1,159
If it is a massive, spacious soundstage you are after, may I suggest the RAAL SR-1b or the MySphere 3.2 or the AKG K1000 earspeakers that all have a speaker-like presentation, most unlike closed-cup or IEM presentation. The downside is reduced bass found with the JMAE XTC. I haven't heard any of the Hifiman phones but being that they are closed-cup, even if they are open-backed, physics dictate a smaller soundstage with closed compressive bass. Unfortunately there is no perfect headphone, only choices among alternatives.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #264 of 1,159
Before purchasing the XTC closed which was one of the first produced, I had the Hifiman HE-R10 JM OCD Extreme Stealth, I bought the XTC closed as the HE-R10 has special design close to the Star Trek look which was not very convenient on the go.
Unfortunately I found the XTX closed not as balanced as the Hifiman, less depth, less stage, less separation, too much dynamics, more detailed but did not have these great balanced tonality and airy sound which is great and above my ZMF VC.
How can I find this great precise relax and spacious sound with a more casual closed back design in the JM line ?
Thanks a lot for your precious help.

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #265 of 1,159
Before purchasing the XTC closed which was one of the first produced, I had the Hifiman HE-R10 JM OCD Extreme Stealth, I bought the XTC closed as the HE-R10 has special design close to the Star Trek look which was not very convenient on the go.
Unfortunately I found the XTX closed not as balanced as the Hifiman, less depth, less stage, less separation, too much dynamics, more detailed but did not have these great balanced tonality and airy sound which is great and above my ZMF VC.
How can I find this great precise relax and spacious sound with a more casual closed back design in the JM line ?
Thanks a lot for your precious help.
My suggestion is to send it back and have John re-tune the phones to your preference. PM him

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #266 of 1,159
My suggestion is to send it back and have John re-tune the phones to your preference. PM him
Or you could get either one of the larger cup XTC-Closed versions such as the ^1.5 or ^2.0, or one of the XTC-Open phones. JM would probably tune it as a "scapel" or "nearly scapel" version.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #268 of 1,159
I sent John a decently detailed email and he suggested the ^1.5s, has anyone heard the original Closed and the 1.5 Closed that could compare the 2? Reason being is the slightly lighter / smaller original may be my preference.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #269 of 1,159
I too would like to understand the differences between 1, 1.5 and 2, first then I'll take the closed

OT in your opinion, which iem could have a similar sound to an XTC? @John Massaria are you going to produce an iem?

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #270 of 1,159
OT in your opinion, which iem could have a similar sound to an XTC? @John Massaria are you going to produce an iem?
For IEMs seal is #1 priority if you want proper sound and comfort. The Moonlight I have has a literal vacuum seal on my ear which feels very nice and the lack of any background noise because of that really lets me focus. KSE1200/KSE1500 is still my fav IEM though because of having no distortion so you can add 10DB bass if you want and it's crystal clear. It's annoying to carry around though so I keep that to desk use. Stock tuning I think KSE is a big waste of money though. Now hot take for here I guess is something like Galaxy Buds 2 Pro or Airpods 2 Pro (or whatever newer model if they are out) is honestly good enough for almost everyone nowadays. You get proper DSP with those so if you are using a newer phone they will perform amazingly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back